2000 jeep - towing

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
2000 4x4 jeep cherokee loredo 4dr 4 speed auto tranny to tow a 2700-3000lb boat. It doesn't have a tow pakage im going to add a reese hitch. will i need anything else or will it be ok? thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 jeep - towing

Just a conservative old fart's opinion, S&S, but I would not tow that rig with that vehicle unless Jeep rates it for at least 3,500# tow as currently equipped, better 5,000#.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I sometimes tow our boat with our 2000 jeep cherokee sport. I don't think I would want to tow anthing much heavier, our boat+motor+trailer is around 2000lbs. It doesn't seem like there is much margin of safety with my setup, my advice is to proceed with caution.

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This has been brought up in numerous posts. Read your vehicle owners manual. What does it say? Even similar models but diiferent year vehicles can have different recomendations.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That Jeep with a 4.0 V6 should have a tow rating of 5000 lbs--I have been towing boats for a long time and also was in the Jeep business during those years----that Jeep should tow what you are talking about just fine---my advise---have a good hitch installed and try it--I think you will find it will work OK--I don't know if I would tow it across the world but local trips with good comman sense should be fine---good luck--Steve PS-be sure to tow it in 3rd gear---not the overdriven 4th

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Starsnstripers---I didn't read your post correctly---not that it would make a lot of difference--you can't have a 2000 Jeep Cher Larado---it has to be a Jeep Cher or a Jeep Cher Gr Larado----either of with a 4.0 in line 6cyl would have a 5000 lb tow rating---If you have a Grand Cher--thats a heavier truck and would prob even do a better job---either should be fine---I don't want to be viewed as a idiot by the Jeep crowd confusing a V6 with a in line 6---that in line 4.0 in line 6 cyl is prob one of the best engines ever built--right up ther with GM's 3.8---good luck--Steve

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Thankyou it is the grand L6 towing cap. 5000lbs i found out also. I appreciate the input. i should be good. yes in 3rd gear not overdrive "got it" :D

hotwls13

Seaman

Just gonna jump on this thread. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 I6. My max is 5000# but, it also say's that the trailer needs trailer brakes. I'm currently looking at a bayliner 175 due to cost, size and weight. The weight is supposed to be 2300# with trailer, but the 175 trailer doesn't have brakes. Do you guys think I will be OK? 75% of our trips will be to a local lake and the trip couldn't get any flatter. The other 25% will be to lakes approx 2hrs away and will involve some mountains, but not too bad of a drive.

I plan to add a tranny cooler though.

Stepney55

Cadet

The guy we bought our boat from towed with a mid nineties Grand Cherokee. The boat weighs around 5000 pounds. He said it sagged alot. He was impressed with our minivan's load levelling system, as it leveled out nicely. He said it pulled okay, but his wife would always complain about him tearing her truck up.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

In Feb I used my '91 Cherokee 5 speed with a I6 to tow a 3500# sailboat about 2,000 miles. (mountains and flat) I used a WD hitch which helped a lot as it really sagged. All went well but there was not a lot of power to go to much over 60 mph. I would recommend brakes and a WD hitch.

BTW, my '98 Grand Cherokee auto with the I6 is only rated at 2500# :(

Minuteman

Seaman Apprentice

I use a 1996 Cherokee Sport w/ IL6 4.0 to tow my 17' Tracker. You might want an Aux Trans Cooler. A great $40 investment. I tow on long and hilly roads and boiled the trans fluid a couple times before I added it.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an '89 Jeep Wrangler with 4.2 carb, a Jeep will pull a lot of weight ok especially in lower gears, but it doesn't do so well pulling loads on grades, it also has a short wheel base which makes it less safe for pulling anything but a small boat/trailer, I would be worried about braking, mine works fine for short jaunts but I wouldn't pull a large boat out of my area

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I had your Suv and a little heavier boat. It will do OK. Without brakes on the trailer your Jeep brakes will warp in no time. Also without factory tow package check if you have a tranny cooler.

I went on to buy a bigger tow vehicle the when it was time. My biggest problem was the boat is much wider than a jeep so visibility is poor.