Icebergs in Lake Michigan?

Pony

Rear Admiral
modisvsblice_1844z_031108b.png

That is a satellite image from noaa.gov.

Really puts a cap on one of the worst winters in quite some time (my lifetime anyways....I am told since 79')

We have more than doubled the avg snowfall here.....tripled last winter, and the were countless days where the temperature was well below zero. That NFC championship game was actually warmer than the two days prior.

100_0027%20(Small).jpg

HPIM0215%20(Small).JPG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Icebergs in Lake Michigan?

Thanks for the reminder! When the ice starts to break up it usually catches ice fishermen every year on a huge piece.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Man, you all have gotten blasted while we've had hardly a flake. I *THINK* I remember what snow looks and feels like... :D

tommays

Admiral

looks cold

In the old old days i saw Long Island sound freeze over :eek: more than once
sndfrz0011.jpg

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not really ice bergs. More like sheets of floating ice.

billygull

Cadet

It's just further proof that ice bergs intend to invade and, if left unchecked, they'll be marching through main street! We must stay vigilante and continue working toward the goal of destroying all icebergs through global warming!:D

Just feeling a little goofy this morning:p

~Billy Gull~
boat insurance

gss036

Commander

I saw a news shot on TV yesterday about a Navy/CoastGuard ice breaker on the Great Lakes breaking up about 3 ft+ of ice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i thought take was the cubes you put in ice tea.

PW2

Commander

Hmmm... We've had a ton of snow, but here in Northern Michigan we've not had that much ice. We've had some cold days for sure, but virtually no below zero temps, there's hardly any ice in Lake Superior, and even the St Mary's river was completely ice free till mid January.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Every year there are fishermen and snowmobilers rescued by helicopter from Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron) when chucks of ice break off.

Last Saturday I watched several large pickup trucks drive out onto Gull Lake (SW Michigan near Kalamazoo). I'd be afraid the ice wasn't thick enough to support them, with weather in the 40's several days,

Then, too, I remember seeing pictures of my grandfather sawing and harvesting huge blocks of ice from the Mississippi near the Quad Cities. Packed in sawdust until summer, that's how food was kept cold in the icebox. Wonder when the last time was the Mississippi froze solid like that.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Social controversy . . . No, wait, this is Earth Science controversy, with some social bandwagon and panic controversy mixed in. I guess I'm not actually sure what it is. Carry on.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Been a average winter here. We had a lot of cold but, that happens every decade or so. We had very, very, little snow. Heck is. only the middle of March and all the snow is already melted.