1986 Evinrude Starting Problems

txcopfromcali

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 86 Evinrude Vro 150, which I have been having difficulties starting. When I would crank the ignition, the motor sounds like it's trying to turn over, however it sounds like it loses power or has weak power. I then attached jumper cables to the battery, and after several attemtps, the engine started. After removing the cables, the engine started a few more times, and of course, when I went to take it out on the water, it would not start again. I then had the battery charged and checked, which it checked good, so I'm at a loss for where the problem is. I haven't done it yet, but I feel if I attach the jumper cables again, the engine would start. Where else should I look to troubleshoot.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Evinrude Starting Problems

Sounds like you have a bad connection, or a power problem. remove the cables from the battery and clean with sandpaper or wire brush. If you have wing nuts, tighten them with a pair of pliers, finger tight is too loose. on the motor end, remove the cables and clean the ends, sandpaper or wire brush again. Even if the nuts or screws are tight, you could get a bad connection. try that first, it only takes time, no parts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, txcopfromcali.

Welcome to iboats. :)

ICEMAN speaks with good advice. Give particular attention to where the ground cable from the battery attaches to the engine block.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Look for corrosion that gets inside the copper strands in each power cable.Peel a little of the insulation back and see if they are kind of green and dusty looking.
Watch the jumper cables! Not good for an outboard.You will fry the rectifier and the system will not charge the battery.If the tach quits that will be a sign..

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Once you go over all connections, making them shine, then re tighten them, inspect the wiring. Any with nicks, abrasions, cuts, etc... will need to be replaced, as they will if they 'crunch' when flexed. They corrode fromt the inside out and are hard to visually see.

A voltage drop test will indicate the faulty component/wiring. Let us know if you need help with this.

txcopfromcali

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I have replaced both connections on each end of the battery cables to be safe, and have checked the cables and have not observed any corrosion other then on the exposed copper which I cut off in attaching the new connections. I also have not heard any crunching, so I think the cables may be okay. Any where else I should look?. I can hear the starter engage, however still not turning over and is turning weak.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cable between the solenoid and starter, have battery load tested

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad