Wiring question

robins_nest

Recruit
Got a new boat this offseason that needs a little bit of work before it is ready for the season. I have an Evinrude/Johnson 1996 to 01 wiring harness that I am trying to figure out. I know where everything goes on the engine side, it's the instrument side that I am a little out of the know. I have identified the ignition connector, the RPM gauge connector and the tilt/trim leads. Here is what I am trying to identify, there is a 2 pin connector with blue/tan wire and a purple wire, there is a set of three wires purple, black and grey, and another set of three wires purple, black and white/tan. Any ideas? The service manual really don't say what they are. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring question

OK - Trace these from the motor to be sure, but, Purple-grey-black is for the Tachometer. This if for a standard non-system check tach. The system check tach uses the 8 pin DIP conector

The tab/blue and purple should be the temperature alarm, although I am unsure why it is seperate from the system check conector.

I do not know what purple-white and blue tan are, however, that motor should have a trim gauge sender, and that may be it.

All of thees should be easy to see on teh wiring diagram. The tricky part is tracing these to the underdash connectors.