force 120 motor wont turn stuck in the hard left position

rgag081499

Recruit
OK after trailering the boat home once i parked it and turned the motor to far left (as looking from the back) take the top cover off and put in some new plugs... now i cannot get the motor to turn straight or move at all that I need help...cannot find any locking device anywhere nor can i crank on the wheel to turn it.... was working fine no snagging of any kind when turning the wheel ...everything is greased up ...im lost...please help:confused:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 120 motor wont turn stuck in the hard left position

First remove the steering link from the cable to the engine. If the engine now moves freely, then the problem is in the cable--perhaps it was extended too far and has now jammed. Remedy is to disconnect both ends of the cable and try to move it. If the cable moves freely, then something has broken inside the helm and you need to disassemble and check it.

If the engine still won't return to center, there are three stops between the lower pan and the pivot yoke. It isn't easy, but perhaps you were able to jump the left stop over the center one resulting in the engine locked in full left position. Remedy for this would be to jack the engine under the skeg, with it in vertical position, and try to force (no pun intended) it back.

rgag081499

Recruit
Re: force 120 motor wont turn stuck in the hard left position

thank you for your help ill look into it and see what it is... hopefully its something simple..