Installing Morse Controls on a Mercury

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice
I am redoing a center console and would like to install morse twin lever controls to operate the outboard engine. Is there anything special I need to consider? Is it a difficult job? I am pretty adept at figuring things out, but I have never done anything like this before. Any help would be great, thanks.

kevincoe

Seaman
Re: Installing Morse Controls on a Mercury

Seaway, I just replaced a Mercury quicksilver with a Morse SL3 controller. Only problems I incountered was the template and trying to understand exactly which holes to mount my cables. On the sl3 it has two moving arms and when I tried to go into reverse , it wouldn't. Had to make a little bigger cut to allow arm to swing. My controller was also a lot longer then the quicksilver so depth may or may not be a problem. 'All in all, a pretty easy installation. What Morse controller exactly? I think they make several?

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response. The controls are the SLT Top Mount Control, CH5600P. A bit of overkill, but I got them off Ebay for $200 brand new and in the box. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I have gone completely overboard on this project and I will also be installing hydraulic steering. Should be a nice ride if I can ever get finished!

kevincoe

Seaman

That looks like a real nice controller. Cheapest I've seen it for was about three hundred. Diagram looks pretty straight forward, but i have never installed that model. Hopefully someone else can help.