trolling with smart tabs

cddetelich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boat is a 20 hydrasport with a 175 Johnson. Just bought a set of Smart tabs to install in a few weeks. I use my boat for trolling probably 80% of the time I am fishing. I know the tabs will be a benefit during my steaming time, but how about when I troll? I would think they would create more drag and use more fuel.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling with smart tabs

I'm sure the smart tab experts will be along but I have read a couple of places that the smart tabs help minimize low speed wander.There must be lots of folks out there trolling with tabs my guess is even if they use more fuel you won't be able to tell the difference.

Drowned Rat

Captain

They make a retractor plate that can be mounted in an opposite manner to push the tabs even deeper in the water for trolling, and then when "retracted", the tabs are in their normal running position.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they help with the deep v wander also as DR said, you can use them to slow you down for slow trolling. the benefits far out weigh, any negative.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

I'm also a Trolling fisherman,....
I used to have to deploy trolling bags to get slow enough,....
Now, with Tabs,+ my Torque-Shift Prop....
I can get down to 3/4mph at idle.....

QC

Supreme Mariner

My tabs slow me about 1 MPH at idle, if you want the same speed as without they will use a little more fuel as you'll have to bump up the throttle . . . Definitely improve low speed wander.