Best Undercoating for an Outboard?

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone!

I am getting ready to paint my '93 Evinrude 120. I have the PPG urethane speced my Evinrude. I am considering using either, epoxy, urethane or Feather-Fil (a polyester).

Two different coatings a specified. A base coat and clear for the cowlings and a single stage for the everything else. I think I will use the urethane for the the cowling. I it is the rest of it I am really uncertain about.

Has anyone used any of the above mentioned products and of so, how did it turn out?

Thanks,

Grits

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Best Undercoating for an Outboard?

Hey Grits,

May or may not be touching your subject but I did a Suzuki 225 with Dupont Ful-Thane. Did the entire unit. After a year with a lot of use the finish is still looking new. My prep work was on the money. Shot it with a gravity gun
hot ( 55 psi w/ .17 ). Really came out sweet. If I were you save a buck or two and just stay with the urethane. My .$02.

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best Undercoating for an Outboard?

GC

Did you use the Ful-Thane primer or top coat? I have used a lot of the Nasson Ful-Thane which is a DuPont product. It is very similar to Imron. It may be the same thing with a different label.

I already have the PPG products that Evinrude called for. The motor has less than 200 hrs on it. That is why I am putting it as close to original as I can.

What primer did you use on your motor. I have taken much of mine to bare metal. It had been touched up in many places with a rattle can. The cowling had been touched up in many places and had some pretty deep scratches. I sanded all the finish off and have it one hundred percent smooth.

I have enough of all the primers I mentioned above. I am temped to use Feather-Fil on the whole thing with the exception of the mounting bracket. I have a small hydraulic leek. I am going to pull the bracket from the boat and motor, disassemble, blast it, fix it, and then paint it. I do not know how tough the Feather-Fill is. I may spray the bracket assembly with epoxy due to its strong chemical resistance. If the top coat gives way, it may not make any difference. Hydraulic fluid will eventually take the paint off about anything.

Thanks,

Grits