Is the Mercury 25 HP Four Stroke a Good Motor?

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was going to buy another new Yamaha 25 HP but I see that Yamaha has discontinued many of their smaller motors including the 25?s so now I?m thinking of buying a new 25 hp mercury outboard. I haven?t ran Mercury?s for years and was wondering if the 25 Merc has any known problems. This will be my first four stroke and hopefully it will perform well. What do you folks think about the 25 Merc?

rndn

Commander
Re: Is the Mercury 25 HP Four Stroke a Good Motor?

A good solid motor.

just_crsn

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2006 mercury 25 four stroke. I have run it for one fishing and hunting season. I haven't had any problems with it.......good cold weather starts during duck season. Super on fuel.......could not believe how easy on fuel this motor is. quiet and smooth running too. hope this helps.

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Dad and I used a Merc 60 4 stroke for a week last summer while salt water fishing inshore waters for salmon near Tofino. We would run that motor bucktailing (trolling) at idle for hours and hours each day, smooth as silk, quitet as could be, no problem. We'd hook a fish, shut it off, land the fish, then power up to run back to the hot spot without so much as a hiccup, a glitch or a hesitation.

My 1987 70 2 stroke would probably start running rough after half an hour, then blow a huge cloud of blue when I hit the throttle again.
The only negative I found was probably just the difference between a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke. The power takes a while to get build up. Where a 2 stroke has an incredible hole shot, the 4 stroke felt a bit lazy out of the gate.

With that said, I liked it so much that I persuaded my brother in law to buy a merc 90 4 stroke when he repowered this fall! He was planning on a Yammie.

Me? I'd get one in a second if only I could justify it somehow (bought a 4x4 last winter).

Grant in Vancouver

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. I had one guy on another forum suggest a Suzuki for the price and longitivity but he was a dealer.