1983, 9.9=90 compression OK?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I just did a compression test on my 83, 9.9 Johnson. She doesn't have electric start, so I hooked up the compression tester and pulled the starting cord 10 times for eac cylinder. The compression was exactly 90 in each cylinder. Am I good to go? I was thinking of doing a decarb to see if the compression comes up a little. What do you think?
Nightstalker

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983, 9.9=90 compression OK?

De-carb annually or every 50 hours is the reccomendation I read somewhere, probaly on this forum.

90 lbs on pull start, is probaly ok, de-carb may bring it up, the most important is that they are even, + or - 10% variance

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I'll do. I figured that the compression was OK at 90 in each cylinder being a pull start. I was wondering if compression readings in general are lower when you pull start the engine rather than using an electric start model. Does anyone know what the compression would have been when that model engine was new?
Nightstalker

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

info not published, on compression. this is the way i like to decarb the small ones.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards recheck compression.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thats basically the way I do it. I usually mix a can of Seafoam with 3 quarts of oil mixed gas. I run her until she's warmed up and then start drawing the Seafoam/gas/oil mixture into the engine for 15 minutes. I usually have to give her a touch more throttle to keep her running as the Seafoam starts to build up in the engine. I let her sit for another 15 minutes and then take her out for a run at wide open throttle until she clears out. Your right, it smokes up a storm but it works.
thanks Again
Nightstalker