Misc power draw

dannyboy7

Cadet
I have just replaced a dead battery and wanted to find the cause of the power bleed. I disconnected all + power leads and inserted a voltemter between post and all leads. All the accessorie leads read .03 with switches off. Main lead to motor registers .40 with all switches off and no key in ignition. Is this normal? Do I have a problem? Another issue is none of the other six power lead to gauges and accessories work when attached individually, but they work when all are attached together....what is happening there?:confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Misc power draw

Each gauge draws its power from the previous gauge in the string (parallel wiring). If you disconnect the first gauge in the string the others can't work. If you have a radio in the boat, the station memory and clock draw power even with the radio off. The draw from the engine is probably the small leakage current through the diodes in the rectifier/regulator. Because a battery is dead does not mean its bad. Recharge it and have it load tested at any auto store.

drewpster

Commander

I would suggest installing a main battery switch between the battery and all the loads. This would guarantee no draw on the battery when the boat is not in use.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I would suggest installing a main battery switch between the battery and all the loads. This would guarantee no draw on the battery when the boat is not in use.

OK, but....

DO NOT EVER EVER leave the boat in the water w/ the battery disconected.
You have diasbled the bilge pump and are just asking for a disaster.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

run you bilge pump direct to battery, not thru battery switch, solves that.

dannyboy7

Cadet

Thanks! I took the battery back to the store that sold it and they confirmed it was bad. They replaced it on the spot. I was considering the main battery switch, but wanted to find out what else could cause the draw down prior to wasting a new battery. No clock or stereo on the boat and nothing else I could think of. I understand the part about the bilge and will keep that one wired directly. The linked gauges make sense, but why the anchor and nav lights don't work until all six leads are on the post is still puzzling me. Why would I have six individual Positive leads......I have double that amount of negative leads which leads to more questions...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What posts are we talking about? You mention six positive leads and twice as many negative leads. What are you disconnecting them from?