HP for a 17 footer CC

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice
I'm having the power debate with myself (and dealers) right now.

I'm gonna pick up a 17 footer. Key West and Scout are at the top of the list, along with Sea Hunt and a couple others. Here's the question.

Do I stick with the standard 90 HP, or spend the 2 extra grand or whatever and go up to 115? This is my first boat, and I don't need a bullet, but I also don't want to be sluggish with a full load.

Also, most importantly: What's your favorite 17 CC? I want a fishing machine. I'd like to stay with a new model. 25 grand is the absolutely max I can spend for a package, and realistically it's closer to 20.

All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: HP for a 17 footer CC

most reccomend at least 3/4 of rated power.An Etec 90- is 320 lbs a 115 is
370.If the 115 is driven within the rage of a 90 it will get close to the 90s GPH(gallons per hour) and be loafing.and you'll have that extra 25hp if you need it.
As far as the boat stick with a brand that is a well established company with a good dealer base.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you are thinking about 3+ people on the boat, full load of fishing gear, livewells full and coolers, etc.... you will want the extra power. i used to have an underpowered fishing boat. it did do the job, but it was sluggish if you wanted to bring your buddies and all their crap too. its nice to be able to shoot up on plane quick even with a full load. however, i would say you should see if you can get a test drive with the 90 and see what you think.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

test drive both. if you can't go 115. will help with the resale value down the road. you never have too much power, just no enough. you don't have to use all the power, but nice when you need it.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Can tell you after living with a 90 hp Scout for a season it's got plenty of power even with six aboard. It's a pretty light boat for the size although real solidly built.​

Before buying I was looking at two identical Scout Dorado dual consoles -- one with a 115 and one with a 90. Called Scout and asked about the 115 because they seemed unusual on a 17 footer -- usually all 90s. Scout said they rarely rig their 17s with motors that size although they are "tested and approved for it."​

If you are zeroing in on a Scout might want to call and get them to expand on that. Couldn't put my finger on it but they seemed less than enthusiastic about the 115 on that size boat - maybe weight combined with the pretty low transom on those boats. I should point out that the CC cofigured Scout is the identical hull to the Dorado but because of configuration it puts the passenger weight bias toward the rear. Just something to think about in combination with the bigger motor.​

CC.jpg

Dorado.jpg

I ended up going for the 90 hp boat mostly because it only had 25 hours on it versus 150 for the 115.​

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own the CC 185 Scout, except I think now its 187 model. Mine has 130 HP and I love it. Perfect size. I go about 45-6 MPH. Scouts are amazing boats.