Reusing Wires/Cables???

mick1973

Cadet
I'm preforming an overhaul of my electrical system, everything is being changed, but lately I've be wondering about the wires (2GA battery cables and 12-16GA duplex wires).

They visually appear to be in good condition, but they could be 19 years old, probably 10. They are marine grade cables, and I, with my limited electrical knowledge I probably could work out if they've lost/gain resistance.

Is it worth trying to recycle wiring or have they lived out most of their life span?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Reusing Wires/Cables???

battery i would change. the other use on short runs which are easier to change , out if need be.

drewpster

Commander

My rule of thumb is that if the insulation is pliable and fully intact and the conductor is shiney, lacking any dark coloration, I reuse it. If the conductor has any discoloration, it has started to corrode and I toss it. I check the entire length for broken insulation or stiff spots also before using it.
If you use a meter to check resistance, bare in mind that a corroded conductor can show very little resistance. However the corrosion can cause problems in the connectors later on. If it is darkened or discolored it gets trashed and replaced.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

that last post was right on. copper isn't cheap. be sure to size the wire correctly and always use stranded wire on any installation where vibration occurs. the surface area of stranded wire performs much better than solid conductors. use shrink wrap on all connections.