130 Johson Problems (1996)

1997 cajun

Cadet
I have not had this boat long. It ran fine at first but now it seems to take a very long time to warm up(20-25 mins) once it warms up it runs great. Also had the oil warning go off. I cut it off and added oil to the reservoir(which was about 3/4 full) and it stopped. Next time I took it out the same thing happened. I loaded it back up and took it home. Any ideas?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 130 Johson Problems (1996)

If the alarm that you heard was a continuous one, that is an overheat alarm.

The engine should reach operating temperature within a couple of minutes, then the QuikStart will cut off and the engine should operate normally.

If it stays cold, You need to service the thermostats. That's fairly easy on the loopers, Just remove the covers at the tops of the cylinder heads and clean and check everything. You can test the vernatherms in hot water with a thermometer. They should open at around 140 degrees. The safest course is to simply replace the thermostats as units, put on new gaskets and check the seats at the back.

1997 cajun

Cadet

It was a continuous alarm but the light was the oil light. Would that still be an overheating alarm?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Oil alarms are intermittent beeps.

Overheat alarms are constant and steady.

Some engines, mostly V6, have fuel restriction alarms that sound a steady constant alarm (just like the overheat) when the gasoline lines are restricted, but not the oil.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Check the condition of the crankcase hose that provides the pressure/vacuum pulses to the VRO fuel pump.

Leaks at either end will reduce the pump output and may trigger an oil alarm.

The motor will run lean at WOT and should cause a heat alarm just prior to meltdown.

1997 cajun

Cadet

Thanks for the input.I will try and change the thermostates and see what that does for me...