engine and drive replacement "combo?"

have a 1984 cruisers inc holiday 22' with a stock 305 merc and alpha one. alpha one was stolen over winter, and i cracked the block last summer in the 305. Question is- I already bought a replacement motor with heads and i upgraded to a Merc 350. Looking to buy a replacement alpha drive unit what is the best ratio i should get I had a 1.50 on it previous, i can get a cheap GOOD alpha with a 1.65 ratio Will this work? and also if the motor is a standard rotation than the drive must be a standard as well? or can the drive be a reverse rotation? also need help choosing right size and pitch prop? Engine does have horsepower upgrades "stock 260hp, mine will have about 290-300hp" mostly river and shallow lake boating, want something good for get up and go power "not necesarily speed" want atleast the norm 35mph rating just with better get up and go speed. any help guys would be very appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine and drive replacement "combo?"

The 1.65 ratio is for a 6 cylinder, you need a 1.50 for a V8. You can use a reverse rotation drive, but you will have to use a reverse rotation prop also. Don't even think about changing cable direction. The drive is setup for thrust one direction or the other.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: engine and drive replacement "combo?"

Ayuh,....

Or you can just go buy a Brand New SEI outdrive for $1200. or so.....

As for the "What Prop" part of your question,.....
That Can't be answered until you splash it,+ test to see where it runs, with what you've got....