70HP Merc reverse issues.

rogerrabbitis

Seaman
I have a mid 1970-80 70hp Mercury and have had issues with the reverse. Forward gear works fine and have been using it for now my second season, when testing out of water you put it in reverse and prop spins and goes in to gear and when in reverse and try to spin the prop will only spin the one way. but when IN water and it only seem to work at low RPM witch does not move the boat at all but when trying to give it more gas the rpm?s goes up but nothing, any ideas....(I will try to get the serial number off motor tonight to get the year for the motor.)

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70HP Merc reverse issues.

If I understand correctly, It sounds like you aren't going all the way in to reverse. Have you had the lower unit off to change the impeller? It sounds like you might be off a spline on the shift rod. Either that or your hub in the prop is slipping.

rogerrabbitis

Seaman
Re: 70HP Merc reverse issues.

ya..that would be it does not seem to be going in to reverse all the way it?s hard to describe sorry and when I got the motor they had had some work dun on the lower unit. I have tried a few different props over the past year and nothing has changed. IS this easy to fix?