carb problems

lodown

Cadet
i have a 65hp mecury 650 4 cyl is there a way to see if there is fuel in the float bowl without taking it all a part. and is possible for this to run on only one carb on all four cyl. it has a hose that connects to both intakes i wasn't sure if that hose could supply enough fuel to make the other two cyl fire or not. I think one carb isn't getting gas or letting the gas flow out any help would be great.

Laddies

Banned
Re: crab problems

Re: crab problems

No, 1 carb won't run anymore than the 2 Cy's it's in front of. No, there is no way to ck fuel level with out removing the top of the carb and that only tells that there is fuel in the bowl not if its getting through the high and low speed jets. YES, if you keep running it around on 1 carb you will burn it up. Your Choice

Last edited:

lodown

Cadet
Re: carb problems

so if i pulled the two top plug wires and it dont start then i will be able to tell its the top carb or i do the same to the bottom 2 cyl and it dont start its the bottom carb right. because it starts and idles fine but it slugish and loses rpm's at wot on the water.

Deltarat

Seaman Apprentice

Doesn"t this carb have a screw located at the base of the bowl; for draining gas out of the carb. Why not squeeze the fuel line "bulb" hard and then remove the drain screw and meter the amount of fuel that comes out of the carb bowl. This will at least tell you if there is gas in that bowl.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is what I would do if my motor had your symptoms...

Squeeze the fuel bulb and/or spray some fuel mix (gas with 50:1 oil) into the suspect carb while the motor is running. If the motor picks up speed, then the carb is probably not providing enough fuel to the cylinders and I would troubleshoot the carbs, fuel pump, and fuel supply lines. Mercury published a Service Advisory showing how to troubleshoot fuel starvation symptoms. The below listed thread discusses this in detail.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=224246&highlight=fuel

If the engine instead bogs down when spraying the fuel, then the carb is probably providing enough fuel and I would troubleshoot for other possible causes.

These are just my thoughts. Others on this forum will most likely have additional and better advice.

Good luck.

lodown

Cadet

Thanks i will give both of those a try. I wasn't sure if that was the plug or jet. could i blow compressed air threw the fuel line or will it hurt the carbs or fuel pump?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes - and Yes to harming the carb and fuel pump with compressed air. Don't keep looking for "cheap and easy". It doesn't work that way. You've been offered sound advice. Heed it.