Lower Unit Installation

bdeschep

Recruit
I took my lower unit off my 1967 9.8hp Mercury outboard motor to replace the impeller. I am currently having trouble getting the lower unit reinstalled. It slides up in there, but there is an inch gap, that I cannot close. I then had trouble removing it again. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to getting these reinstalled?

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lower Unit Installation

Make sure shift rod is aligned. Turn flywheel until it seats.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let us know how it turns out.

bdeschep

Recruit

I am still having trouble getting the lower unit to seat. I got it in a little bit farther this time , but pulled it out and cannot get it back in as far. I tried tunring the fly wheel, but still cannot get it to seat. Should I put some grease on the shift rod to hopefully help it slide in easier? Should it be in neutral, I had trobule getting the rod aligned. Any tricks? I am getting prety frustrated, so I just stopeed last night.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any lube should help. Make sure the motor and the lower unit are in the same gear. Nuetral is fine if both are same. Also make sure the water tube is lined up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It also helps to have the motor vertical when do the re-install. There is enough slop in the drive shaft and shift shaft so that alone can create a problem when trying to install with the motor sideways.

bdeschep

Recruit

I ended up taking to a repair shop, because just could not get it back in place. I talked to the guy over the phone, he said there is a plastic piece that cocked and that it is a two man job. I hope he will tell me where this plastic piece is at, because I am sure that I will have to take the lower off again. Does anybody have any ideas of what he is talking about?