2001 115 Fourstroke charging problem

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had this posted in the Mercury boards, but I think this problem will apply to a Yamaha 115 Fourstroke also.
2001 Mercury EFI 115hp fourstroke.
No output from the charging system. Voltage at the battery is 12.08v. with or without the motor running. Used to see around 14v. up at the dash when all was well.
Checked the usual suspects first: loose or dirty posts or cables, tried running on one or the other and both batteries with the same results.
As the manual says, I checked the amp output after the voltage regulator/rectifier and get no output reading there.
From there it says to check the stator coil resistance using a special test harness, which I don't have. So no stator checking for me.
Any thoughts or suggestions other than taking it to my mechanic?
Does anyone know where to find a regulator/rectifier online?
When I search for one, nobody seems to stock one for the fourstroke motors.

*Update to the first post*
It seems that this Merc. is too much Yamaha in the powerhead for anyone to carry parts for it.
I have found Yamaha parts that are likely to interchange in place of the original Mercury part.
In looking at the Yamaha diagram, my Merc. has the exact same layout as the Yamaha electronics.

regulator/rectifier:
Original part # is SH678B-13 rev.1.8.1
Yamaha # is 6D3-81960-00-00

Can anyone tell me if these parts will interchange?

Also looking for test harness #91-88124 which is a Mercury part #
Any ideas where to purchase this part?

Thanks for any ideas, Scott

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 115 Fourstroke charging problem

test the stator output, you can slip paperclips past the rubber gaskets on the wires.
cranking unloaded should show 9 v and loaded about 7.5. voltage specs are using a peak reading meter of a digital with a DVA adapter.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

test the stator output, you can slip paperclips past the rubber gaskets on the wires.
cranking unloaded should show 9 v and loaded about 7.5. voltage specs are using a peak reading meter of a digital with a DVA adapter.

Thanks Rodbolt, Would that be cranking with the EFI disabled and spark plug wires pulled?
And what is a DVA adapter please. I have both a digital and an analog volt meter.
Ill give it a try the next time I get some sunlight to work under

Scott

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

google this and see what you come up with;# 640 D.V.A. PEAK READING VOLTMETER ADAPTOR