78' 115 Merc, green fluid from water intake holes?

bazzmaster

Cadet
Bought a 78' 115 merc recently... guy had receipts for all new hydraulic lines for power trim (dont know if that means anything)..... Anyway, I lowered the power trim down because I wanted to start the thing up this weekend to check on some things..... Before I ever cranked it or even put the muffs on there was some green oily liquid dripping from the lower hole where the muffs go..about 1/2 a shot glass or less... Where did this come from, has anybody else ever had this happen....I read somewhere the fluid is green for the power trim?....Motor ran fine, shifted fine, trim worked fine.. should I be worried? Thanks in advance for any info.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 78' 115 Merc, green fluid from water intake holes?

Check the lower unit gear lube. Merc's Hi Performance gear lube is green and you could have a leaking seal.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bazz, Put you finger into the fluid and sniff it. if it smells bad(really stinks), it is gear lube, and you likely have a bad waterpump base seal or gasket. If it smells like oil, it is likely pennzoil 2 cycle oil (or some other green TCW-III oi) and is normal.

bazzmaster

Cadet

Thanks, I just bought the new impeller kit... since I plan on keeping this for awhile I was gonna replace it anyway, only spitting water about 1-2 inches from the motor so I figure its a bad seal like you said.....(I hope).....I want it to pee like it just had a 6 pack and was holding it for a long time!.. thanks for the info.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The impeller kit will NOT fix the seal that is leaking gear lube (if that is the problem) it only fixes the water pump.
Pull the lower unit, drain the gear lube, remove the water pump and do a pressure check of the drive. If the seal UNDER the water pump is leaking, that is where your oil is coming from.

bazzmaster

Cadet

Thanks a ton Don... How do I pressure check the drive once I get it off, how much psi should it hold....I'll let ya know how it goes once the weather allows me to fix this.. Calling for more snow today...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bazz, If the leak is gear oil (it smells bad), just fix the seals, no need to pressure test. Buy a new water pump base and impeller, and install according to the service manual. The seals consist of the driveshaft seal in the pump base, a base gasket and an oring on the base.

bazzmaster

Cadet

Don, would the seal under the water pump be called the water pump base seal, or the water pump base to gear housing gasket...... Or are these the same thing.... I want to purchase just the seal itself and not the whole water pump kit since I already bought the impeller kit which does not include this seal.. I would like to have the part before I take the lower unit off...I am thinking its part # 18-2826, replaces OE 27-85610-1...Is this the right seal?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The waterpump base gasket comes with all kits that have gaskets. The oring does as well. What you need is the seal around the driveshaft, inside the waterpump base. You can buy it seperately and install it, but it costs as much as buying an new base with the seal already installed. I therefore recommend you buy the waterpump base kit.