Gelcoat cover-up OMC stringer to Merc....paging Wire2 and others

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gelcoat cover-up OMC stringer to Merc....paging Wire2 and others

i always use the pvc type with the nut inside, then you don't have to worry about it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The short version of the story is, "just like you would do any other type of fiberglass repair". If you wanted specifics for this job, there really aren't any.

whywhyzed

Banned

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

I'm sure you've read atleast 1 of My posts about this,.....
This is but 1 more reason to buy a Donor Boat......
I take an oversized piece out of the Donor Boat,+ Grind, cut, whatever to piece it into the old OMC hole, along with my plywood,+ epoxy......
It'll bring it out flush,+ it'll tell you Where you want to be Drillin',+ Cuttin'........

Then Paint to whatever you want it to be......

Don't tell me you're ready to give Up on the OMCs,..??..?? :rolleyes: :D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I wasn't sure if you were looking for something special for the transom, or general information on Fiberglass repair. Bond-o has info on how to replace the wood and drill the holes, but the glass and gel coat portion of it are standard for any repair.

If you do a search on gel coat repair you will find many threads discussing it, after that you will have more questions, but most of what you want to learn will be there.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

After removing the form, I discovered the heat from the curing Seacast distorted the original glass a bit.
I leveled the surface to within 1/16" with fiber reinforced body filler, scuffed the surface, sprayed 2 part epoxy primer, and had a body shop mix me a pint of paint to closely match the original. The area is mostly hidden by the concave shape of the drive area on my Glastron anyway.