Proper way to operate a Volvo 280 Outdrive when pulling up or backing out of a beach?

jepps3

Cadet
Hello all,

I've owned a boat with a Mercruier outdrive for a long time so I know how to operate the power trim function when in shallow waters such as in pulling up to a beach or backing out. But now I have a boat with a different setup and I am unfimiliar with it.

I just bought a 83 Bayliner with a Volvo 280 outdrive and it only has the Tilt function. I've heard that it is a no-no to put power to the prop while it is tilted up a little bit. How would I beach my boat then? I wouldn't want to leave the prop down while beaching.

And what about backing out? Can I apply some power while backing out of a beach with the trim up a little bit?

In either situation Im not talking about a full tilted up drive, just a bit to clear shallow sand or ground.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Proper way to operate a Volvo 280 Outdrive when pulling up or backing out of a be

i've never heard this.

Don S

Re: Proper way to operate a Volvo 280 Outdrive when pulling up or backing out of a be

It won't hurt at all to tilt it up some (at idle speed) full up and the ujoints will hit the engine bellhousing and destroy it. Anything over idle may also push the drive back to the full down position.
Reverse is another problem. When tilted up at all, the reverse lock is released and the action of the prop will pull the drive up out of the water. Again, if it goes to full up, it could hit the bellhousing. You could try it at low idle and see how high it gets.

tashasdaddy

how do you get off the beach, get wet or a paddle.

jepps3

Cadet

That sucks. You know how sometimes the bow of your hull gets stuck in the sand when beaching? Well, with my other boat that has power trim, i'm able to trim up a little bit to avoid the ground and apply reverse throttle to back out.

So your saying that the only way to really back out of a beach with a Volvo 280 drive is to lock it down all the way and then apply reverse throttle. The risk is the prop hitting low ground near the beach.

Why would they design a outdrive like this. Stupid!!!!!

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not sure on the 83 models but I do know the older ones you could NOT run in trim at all. The dealer said it had something to do with how the gears were cut, not beveled enough to allow running in trim. My dad had a late 70's bayliner with twin Volvo 6 cyl and the 170 outdrives and it was a royal pain to get off of a beach. We got to where we would always float it but had it backed in, it was much easier to get in and out of off the back. So we would approach the beach at just above idle then shut down both engines and lift drives to avoid hitting props and hopefully glide gracefully onto the beach. Then to get it out we would push from the swimdeck to waist deep or so climb up on drift out a bit lower drive start and take off. Yeah it was a BAD design to say the least. I later bought a boat (older Seaflite) that had a 302 and the Volvo 270 T outdrive the T designated trim so you could run it trimmed up but it looked identical to my dads outdrives. I would try to get all of the id info you can off of the outdrive and maybe try to contact Volvo directly and inquire about it. If you trash gears in a Volvo drive they are WAY expensive to repair. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

jepps3

Cadet

Thanks wellcraft,

Well, from what everybody is saying, it seems like the 280 outdrive is pretty much a worthless outdrive. With that being said, is it possible to change it to a newer volvo outdrive with trim? I have a Volvo 225d engine, which is a Chevy 305 block.

Thanks

Maclin

Admiral

They are not worthless. I think the information on the 270's OhWellcraft received from the dealer is just wrong regarding the gears. Running the drive tilted up will not affect the gears inside the drive. The older OMC stringers are that way, cannot run the engine in any tilt at all. That is why the trim for them moves the entire motor/drive unit up and down at the front of the engine.

The 280's can be run tilted up some, high enough to idle up and beach. I believe there is a beaching setting just below full tilt up. At that angle you can run the engine at low or idle rpms with no repercussions. I do not think the reverse latch mechanism lets go in tilted up position, but I am mostly familiar with the 290 drive and it stays latched at all positions. I can run my 290 tilted up to that beaching setting at less than 1200 rpm. I do not know of any drive that can be run at full tilt up.

My brother has had a Merc I/O or two and we both beached the same, had to turn the boat back around and push off from the stern in most cases if we had the boats all the way to shore. His 18 footer and my 22 footer had exactly the same beaching "draft" and the drives hit at the same places.

Someone needs to describe to me how my 290 beaching procdure is any different than any other I/O...:

Idle in with drive tilting up (not trim, tilt) until it is at the beaching angle, wait until keel or drive is about to hit, stop engine tilt up all the way then coast, get out and pull the boat up a little farther. Leaving I push the boat back off whatever it is sitting on, get in, tilt down to beaching angle then start engine and idle out in reverse. Sometimes I push the bow around and let the passengers load in then push it out a bit more and climb in, tilt down some, start engine and idle out in forward.

Last edited:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

280's are bulletproof drives. Mine only has tilt. But I don't beach it. Down and locked, or off and tilted if coming out.
Think it would be a lot cheaper too simply stick a kicker motor on the boat

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with scatty, they are a very good outdrive and we never had any problems with them. But we did take the dealers and owners manuels advise and never ran them in trim. Never seemed worth it considering how expensive they(any volvo) is to repair or rebuild. I am not an outdrive mechanic or guru by any stretch so maybe all that fiddling around was all for not? But I was just a kid and if going skiing ment get wet by pushing the ole liner off then so be it. I later bought a boat with the 270T and ran it in trim alot was a great drive, but it had a guage and was specified that you could run in trim. But like scatty advised a kicker would pretty much solve your problems. But if that isn't possible you get pretty good at the glide in with some practice and it saves the keel of your boat too. Good luck

Maclin

Admiral

The 270/280/290 drives do not tilt up above the bottom of the hull very high when compared to the Mercs or the newer Volvo SX drives so their "torpedo" will drag the bottom usually before the bow or keel does. I must qualify that by saying that the lakes I go to have a very shallow angle to the shore usually. My 290 tilt will not bring the props up out of the water in any event. But the drives are tough on the inside, good design and good stuff to have.

jepps3

Cadet

Thanks Guys!

I go to Lake Mead in Nevada. There are alot of beaches that have shallow banks. It would be nice to bring the prop up a bit to avoid the sand.

Another situation is that the ramps at the marina are sometimes very shallow so i'd like to idle at least to the trailer. This will be my first time taking this boat out with this type of outdrive.

Im glad to hear that Volvo 280's are strong. So is it safe to say that a little trim up with a little power to pull in or back out would be OK?

Thanks

jepps3

Cadet

Does anyone know if the 280 locks in reverse when it is tilted up just a bit?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Down is locked..any tilt losses it. No if's, and, or buts. Reverse lock now useless.
Whats gonna happen first without reverse lock? Prop picks up a 100lb lower, or move a ten times more weight boat?
Get a kicker...and it will work fine with the prop above the hull, as long as not on plane...still grabbing water...been there, done that..(15hp on a 5000 pounder..)..or spring the bucks for a Trim...some had it, its an option...but better have a full wallet..

Don S

Does anyone know if the 280 locks in reverse when it is tilted up just a bit?

Did you read my reply at all?

Why would they design a outdrive like this. Stupid!!!!!

It was 1983. Some models had trim, just not your model.
The VP's as so much above OMC and Merc drives it's scarry. No shift interrupt, no dog clutch, and operators that don't know how to use them.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

280 is what I have on my 27'. I don't beach it. Scared of wave action and hidden rocks in the sand. Getting a hole hammered into the bottom of your hull can make for a bad day. Mine is a 1977 model and it will not lock in reverse. I tried tilting mine a bit, but as soon as the lock is undone and you put it in gear the outdrive comes up. When its up all the way, I can feel vibration. Needless to say that was only one time that I did that. Never tried reverse again. Plus, I was told that would happen.....Duh on my part huh?

Of all the things I've done to this boat (transom, stringers, floor, cabin interior, engine, bimini tops, radios, new galley, new head, fish finder, steering cable, and bits of other stuff. But all I've ever done with the outdrive in the last 7 years is change the oil, universals, hoses, and bellows. Pretty much normal maintenance. I've had several Mercruisers in the past, but I prefer the Volvo.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't beach any fiberglass with an I/O. But that's just me.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not familiar with this particular drive but I've heard that more recent versions of the 280 outdrive have better tilt/trim features. Is it possible to add these features by bolting on another part? I know you can do this with many outboards that came without trim/tilt but I have no idea with this outdrive. Seems like it might be worth looking into.

- bayman

jepps3

Cadet

How many other people are experienced with the 280 in regard to shallow operation?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

How many other people are experienced with the 280 in regard to shallow operation?

Id play close attention to what Don is saying here....You could not get any better advise any where on that drive's abilities..now as to anchoring that boat just off the beach..ask away in a new thread..;)