1960 75hp Johnson shift shaft bushing

freddyray21

Commander
I am resealing the lower unit in this one and like to never got the shift shaft bushing out. This one looks a bit different from the other two or three I have changed. The end sticking out of the housing is tapered a bit. It almost looks like a collar for the seal to fit around. The end that was inside the case is flat. When I pulled it out there was only a fiber washer and no o ring in the case. My questions are two. Did they put the bushing in upside down the last time this was apart? Should there be an o ring and a fiber washer to seal it or just the washer?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 75hp Johnson shift shaft bushing

You wasted your time getting the bushing out. Not necessary to remove it in order to replace the seal. Isn't there a groove inside the bushing with an o-ring in it? You just hook the o-ring out and pinch the new one flat and push it into the bushing and work it into the groove.

The bushing goes in the way you found it. The o-ring seal is part number 305242 and the gasket under the bushing is 305512.

freddyray21

Commander

no groove inside the bushing for an o ring and no way to get it out without taking the bushing out that I can see.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That's really wierd. I just recently resealed one and I just hooked the o-ring out as I just said. There absolutely was a groove in there "somewhere", either in the bushing or below it. To my recollection, it was not far below the tapered end of the bushing. The same bushing and o-ring & gasket were used right up till they quit making that style gearcase.