Value of Johnson Outboard Motor

sharnden

Recruit
I have an old 10hp Johnson outboard motor. I last used in 35 years ago or so. It has been on a stand in my mother's basement since then. I would like to sell it .Could anyone tell me what I should ask. Thank you.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Value of Johnson Outboard Motor

I think your best bet is to watch ebay for similar motors.
If you get the model number of the top of the mounting bracket above the screw clamps we can give you the year.Keep in mind condition is everything.
after sitting 35 years it surely isn't going to run but may be cosmetically
attractive.A compression check could surely help its value.

wbeaton

Commander

I will assume its in nice original condition since you haven't run it in 35 years. It will need $150-200 in tune-up parts since it will likely need a complete tune-up and possibly lower unit reseal. I pay up to $150 for motors like yours. I doubt you'd see more unless its in really good shape. Even running that motor isn't worth more than $250-300 where I am, but condition dictates value and its possible to get more if it runs and is exceptionally pretty. Of course, it also depends on the year. Some 10 hps are more desirable than others.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with Wayne. if it were a 9.9 it would be worth more, as there are many lakes that do not allow 10hp and up.

If you cant crank it up and let someone hear it finding anyone to give you more than about 25 bucks may be hard. Ive been there and done that

wbeaton

Commander

Turns out the motor is a 1952 QD-13. Purely collector market for this one.

reelfishin

Captain

It all depends on it's condition and appearance when they get that old. It's a common motor, so you only have it's condition to fall back on. I've bought them anywhere from $20 to $200 here but haven't seen a mint clean one yet.

Check ebay and Craigslist for other motors in your area.