warning horn issues

tnguardsman

Recruit
i have a 2003 mercury 225 efi and today while on the water the warning horn went off with 4 beeps after the engine ha donly ran maybe 1 minute and it would do it again about every couple minutes. anyone know what the 4 beeps is for. i didn't get an owners manual when i purchased the boat but it is on the way. thank you.

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: warning horn issues

check the oil level in the engine mounted oil reservior

tnguardsman

Recruit

i checked and it is full and so is my main tank in the battery compartment area. i have replaced the water pump and took off the fuel water seperator filter and emptied it out and reinstalled it. i keep seafoam and stabill in my gas tank. any other suggestions. what is the 4 beep alarm a signal of?

j_martin

Admiral

4 beeps is the power on self test for the oil alert module. You may have a loose power connection to it.

It could also be a problem with the ignition switch. An intermittent open in the ignition would not affect the engine, as another circuit is shorted to ground to kill the spark ignition.

What do your other instruments do. Tach, fuel gauge, etc should jump at the same time if it's the switch.

Something intermittent shorting the 12 volt switched circuit to ground for a very short time would do the same thing.

hope it helps
John

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just emptying a fuel filter like that is not a good idea. It ends up allowing any dirt or water in the system to get on the wrong side of the element.
The 4 beep and silence for 2 minutes is Oil alarm and water in the fuel alarm.
Oilsystemtroubleshooting.png

tnguardsman

Recruit

i replaced the filter still same 4 beeps. none of my other gages seem to be affected.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the wire on the bottom of the filter and see if the beeping stops. If it doesn't, follow the oil alarm troubleshooting chart above.