68 johnson 9.5

mitzbob

Recruit
got the motor from m-law was her dads, it sat up for probably 20 years I replaced the fuel pump and spark plug got it running and took her for a test run. ran ok for first time accept idled rough and died. took it out yesterday to run some more did ok, then i stopped and fished for a little while and when I started up to leave it got up and went but then it sounded like it slipped into nuetral and when I idled down it started to go again and did it again till the motor started running rough and died then I trolled back to the ramp when I got home I noticed I could'nt get it out of forward. any suggestions? I am new at this boat thing. thanks ,Bob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 68 johnson 9.5

welcome to iboats. did you change the lower unit oil, before going out. check it. also you could have a sheared drive pin, or a bad clutch dog in the lower unit.. running rough could be misadjusted carb, sucking air in fuel line, or coils going bad, sitting 20 years is not good for them. there are several good post in the engine faw especially "awakening a sleeping outboard" and "Joe Reeves Carb adjustment". read them here : http://www.iboats.com/Coupler_Locks...ategory--**********.739971363--view_id.217574

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 68 johnson 9.5

Click on the thumbnail below to enlarge it, then try this: look to the front of the flywheel, a little to starboard and you will see the linkage in the circle. That is an adjustable link. If you move the shift lever back and forth, you may find that the screw (smaller circle) is loose and that it needs to be reset and tightened. The metal is very soft so don't break it.

The carburetors on the 9.5 have two problems: The floats are cork and sealed with shellac that dissolves in the new alcohol diluted fuel so that they have to be replaced more often than normal; and secondly the high speed jet is at the lowest point in the float bowl when the engine is tilted up, so it gets clogged up very easily.

You can try to temporarily clean the jet out, but the carburetor really should be rebuilt.

One other problem is that the fuel hoses on the old motors were not alcohol resistant. They will go a long way towards helping to clog your jets as well as the screen in the fuel pump when they start to fall apart.

Attachments

• Linkage.JPG
    Linkage.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 0