Ladder vs swim deck

Recelect

Cadet
I am rebuilding a 1983 19' I/O mercedes boat. it has a goofy swim deck that bolts on to the back of the stern and I am thinking about getting rid of it and putting on a ladder (looks as though a ladder might have been original....) Anyone have anythoughts on why or why not to do this? I have not been boating in this boat yet and am not sure if the swim deck is something I "need" and I also think a ladder would be more usefull. My plan to have a sundeck over the engine compartment and that would seem to be more usefull....

Attachments

• int6.JPG
    int6.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ladder vs swim deck

they actually make those with ladders, the platform is very handy if you are into water sports. i would consider getting one that goes all the way across, above the outdrive.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Ladder vs swim deck

Leave it if it is sound. Add a drop-step to the end of it and a pull rail on the stern..that way you have the best of both worlds, a swim deck with a ladder step and grab rail. Those dinky/flimsy boarding ladders are a pain for anyone over 6 feet tall. It's often easier to pull up to a sitting position on a deck and then stand and get in the boat.