Does any body now the year of this motor?

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a 40hp evenrude bigtwin electric start that im thinking about getting. I am worried about the year because the early 40hp evinrudes had major problems. Here is the model # 40452S. Here is the serial # C398622. Let me know if you reconize it.

Fuzzey

I can probably get pics if needed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does any body now the year of this motor?

What/who gave you the idea that "early" (starting in about 1961) JohnnyRude 40s had major problems, Fuzzey? They were simply modified versions of engines they had been building since about 1951 (Johnson RD series).

I have heard nothing of the kind. On the contrary, I have heard they have an excellent reputation and the ones I have had (still have one) were all sweethearts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Avery informative and mostly accurate article, Fuzzy. I think his comments about the '60-'61 big twins overstate the case a bit. My 1960 Johnny RDS-22 (identical to the Big Twin) never sheared a flywheel key in the several years I used her. In fact she never hesitated a bit; just started when I pulled the cord and purred away as long as I asked.

It doesn't really matter if I disagree with that part of the article. We agree that the 1964 was a very good engine. I would favor the rope start version for the same reasons that the author gives.

Good luck. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are referring to the crankshaft issue, yes the 1960 had that reputation. However, on the flip side of the question, I was a full time dealer mechanic at the time and I've never personally seen a broken crank. So there!
Max is dead wrong about substituting a car solenoid. You can do it if you want to compromise the safety features. You will burn up the safety switch in a nano-second if you install a car solenoid.