vacuflush head

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
My 2004 Sea Ray has a standard head with a macerator. Has anyone ever upgraded the basic "portapotty" to a vacuflush system? How expensive is the conversion? Any suggested brands? Is the upgrade worth the effort and cost?
Thanks

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: vacuflush head

My personal opinion is to keep what you have-vacuflushes are a pain in the A--, use to much water and requier way to much upkeep---I have had the old fashened cheap hand pump head on my 280 regal for 20 years---never had any issues the where not self inflicted--I have helped lots of my boating freinds work on the vacu systems and heard the cussing that went along with that--if the boat was a 40' or bigger with long runs that might be a different story----good luck-Steve

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just starting to get a bit of experience on vac syms. as my friend just got an older SEA RAY with that system. Took some figuring out, sym. uses very little water. Velocity of flush is supposed to break down waste headed to the vacuum tank, as vac pump creates more vacume in tank, it also pumps waste to the holding tank. Holding tank is then pumped out or the macerator pumps dumps overboard. Looks good on paper but could be a nightmare. Friend is currently replacing macerator pump, I dont intend to be around as the connections are at the lowest part of the tank and he is not quite sure of the tank lines are empty ( probably not. ). I think BACKWATER DAWG is giving good advice by leaving the system as is.
Must also add that I have TOO much experience on aircraft waste systems. 767 came out with the vac flush system and could be a nightmare. About the same time the 757 came out with the conventional individual lav waste tanks for each lav. Very little problems with the conventioal system and is why I recommend keeping things simple. Mind boggling the things people would put down the toilet. Dont remember the reasoning but people coming from overseas would discard their passports and visa down the toilet on international flights. Had something to do with them being better off undocumented on arrival. Maby I should not have mentioned it as I forget the details. regards FRED

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like I should leave well enough alone. Thanks for the advice. I have a pump out connection on the side of the hull. My marina has a pump out station dockside. What exactly needs to be done to pump it out?

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The marine attendent will do that for you--just remember 2 things--after they pump it dry--make them backflush it--run 2-5 gallons of fresh water back down the outside hole and pump that back out -- then TIP whoever did that for you--it's a sh--y job!! I use the blue head chemical--you need that or it will smell bad---people will walk down the dock and gag---I have found that it works better to put a little down the head at a time--some people pour the whole bottle down right away -I have found that if I keep the bottle near the head--and pour a little bit down ever other flush or so it works great--you seem to keep not only your tank smelling OK--but by keeping a little blue stuff in the bowl-it will smell better--that's one difference between a vacflush with water in the bowl and more of a dry system that you only use what water is needed to flush--trust me --I have had my share of head issues and this seems to be the simpelest in boats our size---good flushing--Steve

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. I always appreciate learning from other people's hard learned lessons. I assume I can buy blue head chemical at any marine store. I'll start stocking up.:)

marks737

Cadet

I'm currently having a Vacu-flush installed on my '95 270 Sundancer. Have a Sani-potti now.

Total cost is $4000.00 including install, 10 gal. holding tank w/vac. gen. and series 5000 toilet. Not cheap, but supposedly the best on the market. Most new boats come with Vacu-flush heads.

The installer said the key to hassel free use is NEVER, NEVER flush anything other than marine toilet paper otherwise clogging will occur. I'm going to install a very prominent placard in the head that clearly states this!

It uses very little fresh water supposedly. I'll find out when I get the boat in the water this season.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Let me know how it goes. Four grand is 10% of what I just paid for my 2004 240 Sundancer. I think I'll see how much use the "portapotty" gets before spending that kind of money. I do not plan to stay on my boat overnight and even if I did my marina has full bathroom and shower facilities. I understand the special toilet paper is a good idea in general. Good luck with your new system.
Bob

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4000.00$$$$$---how much Sh-- will you be running through it---before I spent 4K to upgrade a working 27' boat---I would bring a 5 gallon bucket with me

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

At my local lake the DNR started checking the sanitary systems on the houseboats and cruisers. Many violations were found. My 27' had a macerator on it and holding tank which was fine. Due to their inspection, I had to remove carpeting to get to the holding tank for their inspection. It was somewhat of a hassle and stunk up my cabin. I made it easier on them and myself. I put in a porta pot. With my wife and I, we never fill it up over the weekend. Makes it a whole lot easier just to take it to the dump station vs pulling into the marina and paying 7 bucks for a pump out of just a couple of gallons.

Anyone who leaves their holding tank half full for over a week will smell up their portion of the dock. It gets worse when the temps rise as well. Most patrons of the dock do their pump out prior to leaving their boat from the weekend.

Locke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a vacuflush on my 2000 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer and it works great. When I got it, the previous owner told me it was clogged with a tampon which allowed me to take it completely apart and service it. (The Marine service guy wanted $500.00 for this.) For less than $500.00 I replaced the motor, installed a new bellow kit and butterfly valves. Not my favorite job but prior to doing that I flushed the tank and lines several times. Now it works great, no stink and the lake I'm at has free pump out.

Locke

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know all the new EPA stuff-- but a previous thread brings up a great point-I know my working waste system will pass any inspection-grandfathered in--stock system--so what do peril do you put yourself in when you start changing things?????