2000 sugarsand with merc v6 sportjet 175 no spark on left bank

daddysmalllegs

Recruit
Hello, im new here and just want to say thanks in advance for anyones help!

Last August a buddy of mines boat this sugarsand quit running. I checked for spark and it only has spark on the passenger side of engine. I have been looking on the net for ohm specs to check the coil pack but i end up getting different numbers on different sites. I visually inspected everything and didnt see any corroded or disconnected wires. If you could keep in mind, im a car mechanic and new to boats. So the whole stator deal is kinda new to me. Im also unsure if the kill switch could be the problem and just kills one side of spark? or does the kill switch kill all the spark? and fuel for these boats?

As of now its getting fuel just no spark to the drivers side, it has 3 carbs. 6 coil packs. THe coil packs that arent firing have two posts each. a negative (black wire to each), and a green with white tracer, green with yellow tracer/stripe and i think green with red tracer. Im unsure of the tracer/stripe colors since i looked at it yesterday. oh, if this helps-WHile i was looking up testing procedures i noticed a site saying not to use a maintenance free battery. And i remembered he was, could that be a problem?

Could someone send me a link to a service manual or email me a link? Or please give me testing procedures? A wiring diagram would help too. If i have to replace the trigger/stator, is that easy to do? I took the top cover off to expose the flywheel i guess its called for boats, im sure these engines work like a lawnmower with the magnets and such. Well anyways in the middle of this flywheel was a yellow protective cap with a nut holding the flywheel on. Is there a special tool needed to remove everything? If it is the stator that needs to be removed, will there be instructions in the stator repair kit for installation? Like i said, im new to boat engines. I really want to thank you all again for helping me and my buddy fix his boat.

Heres the serial # for the engine
0e375832

Also, anyone know what kind of ignition system this boat has?, i have read of adi ignition, cdm,omc? and also what is the high side and low side for checking ohms on the stator? I have red pages that just say check the stators high side and low side, but im not sure what they are talking about.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 sugarsand with merc v6 sportjet 175 no spark on left bank

Welcome to iboats.....:)
This is the I/O forum, you need to post this in the outboard forum.....;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in anycase its most likly a bad switchbox.
but the system isnt hard to troubleshoot. a year model would be nice, a seriel number even better.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This the problem all the sportjet owners have---these engines have mercrusier plastered all over them--who did merc buy this engine from--I know the smaller ones came from Force-Chry-whoever--no one seems to want to claim those---Steve

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rodbolt, he posted his SN 0E375832

Daddy, this is an outboard powerhead mounted on a jet pump. Not an IO. So I will move it over to the Merc outboard forum.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The below quote from another source may help get you started.

No fire on one bank: Check DVA voltage of the stator, checking from each red and blue wire to engine ground. The readings should be approximately 180 volts or more on the blue wires and 30 or more on the red wires. If a DVA meter is not available, swap both sets of the stator wires between the packs. If the problem moves, replace the stator. If the problem stays on the same bank, swap physical location and all connections of the two packs. If the problem stays with one pack, replace the pack.

Good luck.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You will need to access the switchbox's wiring on the mounting plate and remove plugs and install a spark tester. If engine fires with plugs out ,rpm is slow so look at starter and cables. Next disconnect the blk/yel kill wires from boxes and retest ,if you have spark its harness or keyswitch problem. If still no spark test the stator with a ohmmeter,below are the spec's for it. If stator test ok, swap wiring between boxes ,if problems stays on same side its a switchbox and these are about $250 each...

Test Leads to...................Resistance/Ohms...........................Scale Reading
Between BLUE and............3500-4200...................................... R x 1000
RED Stator Leads

Between BLUE/.................3500-4200...................................... R x 1000
WHITE and RED/
WHITE Stator
Leads

Between RED....................90-140.............................................. R x 1
Stator Lead and
BLACK Stator Lead

Between RED/....................90-140............................................. R x 1
WHITE Stator Lead
and BLACK Stator
Lead