Quick question, please respond...

jacobpourciau

Seaman Apprentice
Is submerging the motor in a trash can full of water the same as actually putting the boat in water??? The reason I am asking is because I have noticed that everyone is reccomending putting the boat in water instead of muffs when making carburator adjustments...........So can I put it in a trash can sumerged in water, being the same as having the boat in the water?????:confused::confused:

kennyk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Quick question, please respond...

Using a trash can full of water would only be a little better than on muffs since it does add a little back pressure on the exhaust and the settings might change a little. BUT, the right way is to do it on the boat in the water. You set your idle and mixture at idle in gear which puts a little load on the motor. Most times if you set the motor up on muffs or without load in a barrel your setting will be too lean and when you put her in the water the boat will stumble or lack power. Ken

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A trash can or barrel is close.I bring the lip of the barrel up to the clamp and fill it to the brim.Some motors require adjustment idling in gear tough to do in a barrel.I don't trust muffs and they aren't much good for tuning.You can't beat the real thing and you may have to touch it up on the water after tuning in a barrel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Needless to say, if your motor has an adjustable high speed jet, there's no way you can do that in a barrel. Also, even a whiff of smoke coming up from the barrel and being sucked into the carb will mess up trying to adjust the idle mixture, since it runs on oxygen-not smog.