1990 johnson 200 gt alarm and sneeze

trans80

Cadet
i have a question i hope someone can help with. first trip out last year motor ran fine. came home and changed plugs just for maint. second trip out i motor was running fine until one point at wot the alarm sounded constant.i did not notice any change in performance at all.when i backed out of the throttle the alarm quit.engine was not hot.again i tried full throttle and got the alarm.has to be fuel restiction right? well then i noticed at idle in gear going through no wake zone the motor was sneezing fierce and kept shutting off. while it was sneezing i hit the key to prime to see if motor cleared up but it sputtered worse. the primer bulb was soft at the time also. back home i looked everything over and notice there is no fuel filter that i could see.took off the air box to inspect carbs and pulled some of the drain screws on the bowls and got clean gas.i did notice at the bottom of the carbs there is a hose that looks to be coming out of the block with a screw in it looks like 3/8.is this part of the recirc system?compression is good 95 on all 6.i just need a new starting point if someone could help.the fact there seems to be no fuel filter scares me that something got into the carbs but why the alarm isnt the sensor for a restriction at the pump?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 johnson 200 gt alarm and sneeze

Welcome to iboats.

That is the fuel restriction warning.

I would check the built in tanks vent to ensure it is clear, and the anti syphon valve to start. They are known to stick in a semi closed position, restricting fuel flow. It's like trying to suck fuel out of a vaccuum.

Are all fuel connections tight? Any noticable breaks, pinholes?

Will pumping the primer bulb pick it back up?

trans80

Cadet

unfortunatly i did not try to prime the bulb at the time i only hit the jey to prime i know i should have my mistake.ido not notice any air leaks though

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you find pumping the primer bulb fixes things, you may find your carb floats are improperly set or defective,you have a failing fuel pump air motor diaphragm ,leaky or dislodged pulse hose between crankcase and fuel pump, etc... The diaphragm would probably be my first guess. Also ensure all seals are air tight.

But you may want to look into your anti syphon valve and tank vent first.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Or you could get a vacuum gauge and hook it inline on the fuel hose before the engine, along with a clear section of hose. Take it for a spin, noting the readings and monitor the fuel flow through the clear hose.

Findings:

-Vacuum of less than 2 inches and air bubbles in the clear hose indicates an air leak into the fuel system
-No air bubbles and less than 2 inches indicates a bad fuel pump
-Vacuum over 4 inches indicates a restriction.

Sample gauge

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBTOX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=4610113711&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI"

trans80

Cadet

sounds like a good idea ihope it is the valve i will check it first.i still dont know what that hose is for coming out of the block under the carbs that has a screw in it thanks for the input