Bad for a NEW motor to sit for years unran?

saltfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My dad found a 2003 mercury 40 2-stroke for sale, and was wondering since it has sat for 5 years will it be ok? Its brand new and never ran. Didnt know if this is a possable problem? I dont know if they run them at the factory or not before they ship them.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad for a NEW motor to sit for years unran?

It will probably be ok but you bring up a question that will be asked more in the future. You see, Merc and Yamaha have quit indicating model years on their engines. As long as there are no significant changes in the design from year to year, buyers will not be able to tell what year the motor was actually produced in. Even though the motor is several calendar years old, it can still be sold as a new motor. I personally find that practice very disgusting. The theory is that this allows the dealers to sell these motors as new and not as non-current and therefore they don't have to discount them. Once again the buyer gets the short end of the stick. Never run is not a measure of a new motor. Stuff degrades sitting on a shelf. Outboards are no different. The price of the 2003 should reflect it's age but being new, it would obviously have a premium associated with it.

saltfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The asking price is $3300. Dont know if thats pretty good?

j_martin

Admiral

The price being good depends on whether there is a good mercury dealer standing behind it, with a full factory warranty.

Otherwise, it's about right to pretty proud.

If the motor has good compression, and sounds good, it's probably OK. If it has suffered too much from sitting, ie from corrosion in the cylinders, it should show that with a compression test.

John

To give you something to compare:
I just purchased a 2000 model 30hp that has less than 100 hours on it. Very clean not a bolt turned on the motor. It too sat up for at least a year. I paid $1400 for the motor. If I were going to drop $3300 on a 40hp it better have a warranty!

jbjennings

Captain

I don't think that's an all bad price for a new 40hp. But I'd have them replace the water pump impeller because sitting in one place that long could cause the rubber to get hard where it's squeezed against the pump housing. If you check how much he wants for a 2008 model, you'll really think it's a good price. If it has a new motor warranty, I'd really consider it. IF not, then it shouldn't be that high. If it's all scratched up then it should be even lower. Technically, if it's a 2003 model, it definitely is not new--it's 5yrs. old!
But I wouldn't think there would be any other problem with it just sitting. It being dusty wouldn't bother me, but I'd look at the prop and see if it is really new and not slightly used. If it had any oil or grease on it, I'd pass.
JBJ

saltfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The prop was never installed. We looked inside the engine, and all the power wires and stuff looked like they were all factory wraped, and still had some factory greese on some of the fittings/bolts. They installed it, and running it and making sure its ok before we pick it up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is one on-line retailer (I'll just say "Ed's") and he advertises a 50 HP Merc 2s for $3800. Now you tell me if $3300 is too much for a five year old 40 HP motor (new or otherwise). That same dealer has 50 Yamaha 2S for about the same money ($3600 as I remember).