Wiring issue

epicmariner

Cadet
Bilge pump will not work. Connected to an external float switch and a panel switch. The switch is lighted and the light comes on when flipped. Used a multimeter and get a reading of 12 volts at the wires from battery/panel before the connection to the pump wires. I've got three wires coming to the pump, the pump has two wires, the float switch has two wires. The original set up was positive wire to float switch, float switch to brown wire from panel + positive wire from pump, ground wire from pump to ground wire. Replaced all connections in case of corrosion. Tried to wire the pump directly to the pos + neg wires, no dice. Connected pump directly to battery, pump works. How do I connect the pump and float switch to the three wires (red, black and brown) coming from the battery/panel switch?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wiring issue

you have an automatic/manual pump. you don't use the float switch, 1 wire is ground, one is from the postive side of the console switch, the other is a direct positive from the battery, so if the boat gets water in it the pump will come on automatically. (has built in float switch?

epicmariner

Cadet

Just to be clear, the red (+), black (-) and brown wires all come from the boat (be it panel, battery or block) and the pump only has 2 wires. Tashasdaddy, how would I wire the pump to the system you have described? Many thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

misunderstanding, you have a manual pump, i thought you hade a 3 wire pump auto/manual pump, you have 3 wires coming to the pump from panel.

you have 3 options,
run it just with the float switch as and automatic,

run it just as a manual, controlled by the console switch

run it by the console switch, and float switch

let me know which you want to do.

epicmariner

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I'd like to run it by the console switch and the float switch, although that sounds like it might be the most difficult. Really appreciate all the help. Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

the +12V switched will come from your helm switch. The +12V going through the float switch will come from battery. The drawing below shows a 3 wire pump. You just do the connections yourself on the outside.

pump.gif