how to use tilt correctly?

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i'm new to boating...just got my first...but i want to make sure i learn to do things correctly. how to you use the tilt? the guy i bought the boat from told me to tilt all the way down until i get on plane. but i don't know exactly when you would tilt up...when you are in shallower water? any help? please.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to use tilt correctly?

Well, that's a good start.

Once you get on plane trim the engine out until it is just short of porpoising the boat or ventilating the prop. Your speed and rpm will increase until you reach this point, then either the prop will start sucking air and over-revving the engine or the bow will start to hop up and down.

When you have found the ideal trim you can back off the throttle to your preferred cruising speed.

Bon voyage. :)

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks. i'll practice that next time i am out on the water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are two things that will tell you when you are trimmed properly for the speed you are going and the load you are carrying. 1) the seat of your pants and 2) The noise from the water. When properly trimmed the boat gets what you might call a "happy feeling" about it. Things smooth out and rush of the water seems to diminish dramatically.

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First of all-what model of drive or engine do you have??? I/O or outboard?? The next thing is to understand the difference between trim and tilt--trim is used to even the boat out as you speed up and change the angle which the boat is going across the water--tilt is used as you are putting the boat on a trailer or at VERY slow speeds in VERY shallow water--like the previous post stated-as your boat reaches planing speed -you tap a little at a time the trim button so the outdrive or outboard pushes you flat across the water instead of plowing or porpising--go out and run at a nice planing speed and run the trim button up and down and listen and feel the difference--also watch your wake and see as you adjust the trim how the wake flattens out our increases--as your best cruising speed-gas milage in mind--your wake should be as flat as possible and have the least vibration in the boat--I have had my same boat 20+ years and I don't really even watch the tachs--I can feel the floor when it's trimed out correctly---go play with it and good luck--Steve

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

let me ask you. this happened this weekend. i ended shallower that i thought. i came to a stop but to take off again do i need to trim all the down or could i trim up enought to get out of the shallow and then adjust as needed. this makes a lot of sense now that you put it that way.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Trim all the way in again until you get back onto plane. If you don't trim in, you'll see the bow go straight up in the air, almost vertical if trimmed all the way out, which has happened to me.

phonedrn8

Seaman Apprentice

question is your trim power on manuel?

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's a curve ball. I look at trimming as a tool for adjusting prop angle.:p

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always have the trim all the way down or in when going up on plane-if you come down off plane in a shallow area-slowly find deeper water with your drive up so you don't drag bottom-get in deeper water-put the drive all the way down and get back up on plane-Steve

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

let me ask you. this happened this weekend. i ended shallower that i thought. i came to a stop but to take off again do i need to trim all the down or could i trim up enought to get out of the shallow and then adjust as needed. this makes a lot of sense now that you put it that way.

note backwater's comments above about the difference between tilt and trim...when you hit the "up" button with motor full down, it moves slow until it reaches the top of the "trim" range, then the "tilt" takes over and moves it faster the rest of the way up. "tilt" won't (shouldn't) hold the motor up at speed - it should bleed down as you apply throttle, until it gets to the highest "trim" setting.

go slow with motor tilted up in shallow water or standing timber or anywhere there might be underwater obstructions. take care to keep the water pump intakes submerged.

once its safe, follow the procedures described above. if your lower unit runs aground, be aware that debris especially sand can score the water pump housing - makes it less effective.

remember, your sonar isn't forward-looking - it won't show the sandbar until you're already on it........... ;)

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"tilt" won't (shouldn't) hold the motor up at speed - it should bleed down as you apply throttle, until it gets to the highest "trim" setting.
;)

Now you have me curious, Most power tilts/trim automatically lowers the unit until it reaches Top of Trim while excelerating? Not saying I would do this but if i had my tilt up due to shallow water going slow, got to chatting and then began to accelerate once I was clear my tilt would lower? if so I am looking forward to trying it

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did a mistake once, came off a run and cruise for a while and forget to put the trim all the way down. When next I gave her some gas and the boat sort of climb out of the water with the bow way up in the air (sort of like a wheelie) and standing at an angle trying not to fall back. Learn my lesson, always trim down after making a run. Scare the s*** out of me, thought the boat would flip over.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Again, like B/W said, what model do you have? If you have a Volvo and are using your "tilt" when underway be prepared to start spending some serious money.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trim all the way in again until you get back onto plane. If you don't trim in, you'll see the bow go straight up in the air, almost vertical if trimmed all the way out, which has happened to me.

and I thought that only happened to me... one mistake I don't want to make again..

wncrjb

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Now you have me curious, Most power tilts/trim automatically lowers the unit until it reaches Top of Trim while excelerating? Not saying I would do this but if i had my tilt up due to shallow water going slow, got to chatting and then began to accelerate once I was clear my tilt would lower? if so I am looking forward to trying it

it's not "automatic" - it's just the tilt cylinder won't hold against the motor, by design it's not strong enough, it just bleeds down gradually....I was thinking that was pretty much universally the case, but maybe it's not. anyways, how dangerous it is depends on the equipment.........

a70eliminator

Captain

this is going to sound rediculus but, sometimes I trim out and cruise with my bow way up high because my wife likes it! She lays back like "yaa this's the life" I have a hard time seeing over the bow at that point but I only do it when there's no boat traffic and it does feel kinda neat.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

this is going to sound rediculus but, sometimes I trim out and cruise with my bow way up high because my wife likes it! She lays back like "yaa this's the life" I have a hard time seeing over the bow at that point but I only do it when there's no boat traffic and it does feel kinda neat.

Make sure there's no wake or strong gusts coming at'cha...It could cause you to flip over.