blueband 50hp, seized??

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone.

I have just come into ownership of a 4cyl, mecury blueband 50hp with thunderbolt ignition. I have heard these are "bullet proof" motors but I have a problem.

Prop wont turn, cord won't pull. I have tried different gears but nothing happens. Prop is solid. As it won't turn in neutral, I am presuming the powerhead is not necessarily part of the problem but the gearbox might be.
Where shall I go from here? Shall I drop the lower unit? I have looked at it, and there are 2 visible nuts imbedded into the side under the flanges on the gearbox.

Only number I managed to get off the engine was on the side of the transom "1440-3255" any use?
I will post serial no. tomorrow as I can't find my torch and its dark! Shed lights are also broken! Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: blueband 50hp, seized??

Pull the lower unit and see if the engine will turn over.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what I was planning to do. I have been reading a bit and it seems reassembling the L/U is quite difficult!

Can someone tell me the fuel mix for this engine please.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel-Oil mix for your motor is 50:1.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Don't forget the nut under the trim tab/fin. Remove the fin and there's a bolt/nut lurking in there.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the fuel mix

I will be taking the L/U off tonight in about 8 hours and will post results here. Thanks

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

serial no. is 2948379 Im presuming a 1979 motor due to last two figures....

I remove L/U that is stuck but so is the engine!! Im not sure the controls are working and would these prevent the engine from turning over if in gear as a safety precaution when starting? When I move the controls, nothing happens. I can feel the cable tense up but nothing engine end.

I have ordered a manual already but can anyone help me, advise what to do next. Thanks

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does the prop turn now that the L/U is off???

Does the flywheel move??

Pull spark plugs and fill with penetrating oil, soak for a while and start working the engine.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

windykid, and I quote from my own post, "I remove L/U that is stuck"
and "but so is the engine!!"

I have removed plugs, they seem to be a type I have never seen before, flat as if normal plug has been sanded down and the arm has gone off and its just flat.

Anyway, what sort of oil, WD40? diesel I heard works well.

Nothing seems to move, gear lever on engine, flywheel, gearbox all frozen. I will try some force on the gearbox but not too much.

thanks

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, how to remove the lower cowling, made out of metal, ive removed all the bolts but I can't lift up off top because carbs and other stuf is in the way, cant pull down because transom is in the way!

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right, I managed to free up the engine and gearbox BUT

DON'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE GEAR!! There is a small shaft behind the drive shaft which turns a bit. I can get the prop shaft to turn forward and reverse a bit but not neutral. Can someone explain how this works please.