Anyone seen a forum for campers??

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
This is a awesome forum for boating. I am wondering if there is a place like this but for campers. I might be getting a camper that will need a lot of work including replacing a rotted floor and a bunch of other stuff. That project will be something that will be new to me. I dont think that i will have a hard time with it but with anything that im working on boat wise this place has helped me out so much. It would be cool it there was like a icampers. Anyone seen a place like that on the web. Ive been looking and havent seen anything like that.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Anyone seen a forum for campers??

Interesting question....I've never seen one either. It would be equally useful as Iboats has been....there are some great destinations out there.:)
I too have a camper...an older one (70's) that I bought years ago. It's biggest issue was the general fixed 'decor' from that period...yikes. So I completely did over the interior and updated as much as I could to get it to the point where it really worked for us.
If you are buying one of taking one on...start with the roof first and then the corners where the camper jacks connect. Those areas are usually the first to start to degrade.
If/when you have it....post a few photos.:)
BP

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

what kind of camper do you have ?
there are a ton of them
i am a member of a apache camper owner forum:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just googled rv repair forums, and camper repair forums, there is a lot out there.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I've had tents, Pop up's, Trailers, Fifth wheels, Truck Campers and Motorhomes for 43 years and have never heard of any camper Forums. I sure wish there was one as I like to talk trailers and campers
and talk to campers themselves. To those Campersthat talk back ....WINK!

We now have a Terry 35 ft fifth wheel with two slideouts. This is our fifth year with it. You can see it in the Background of my Avatar

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I too would like to find a good one. Personally, I'm a fan of smaller and lighter travel trailers myself. There easy to tow, park, and you can get good gas mileage towing them. I had a 1969 12 foot homemade that I really loved. I had to put tires on it once and the rims had writing on them that said corvair. It was still in good shape and I was always marveled at the man who, in 69, built this thing himself. I think in those days they came as a kit and you put them together. Anyway, I sold it to a friend because I wanted something with a fridge and a bathroom. So, now I have a 1980 Shasta....14 foot. lol. Serves my needs just fine. Good for two friends to sleep in. There are two full size couches on each side of it. Or, the table in between them folds down and then it makes a full size bed. Has a small bathroom/shower combo, Hot water heater, gas /electric fridge , furnace and stove. I added a window AC and a power inverter for the times when there is no place to plug in. (Of course no 110 power means no AC) Got myself a little TV/VCR and antennae and I'm set. Use it a lot. The only problem is that I can not tow that and my boat at the same time. I have seen people towing there boat behind a 5th wheel camper though. But, you need a bigger pickup to do this. Some of the local campgrounds let you rent by the month and next summer I'm thinking of doing that so that I can tow my boat back and forth.

I did find a site called RV.NET you can check out. Let me know if there any good. Or, any other good sites you find. I would appreciate it if you did.

Thanks, Caveman Charlie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don't think it will happen here, we have enough trouble moderating, what we know about.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I get onto wwww.rv.net/forum quite often (take out the extra w).

Bigprairie1

Commander

...for the record, my camper is an early 70's 8' Okanagan w/ the overcab bunk. Nice little camper..very basic but redecorated nicely with a few extras. The one thing it doesn't have that a newer camper would have is probably a bigger bed in the upper bunk. We get a bit crowded in there.
If I 'upgraded' I would probably stay in that size range. These 11-12 footers with basements, etc, etc are not my style.
The old ones have to be watched for problems but fixed up, they can be pretty cool.
...my two bits :):)
BP

cbavier

Lieutenant

The only problem is that I can not tow that and my boat at the same time. I have seen people towing there boat behind a 5th wheel camper though. But, you need a bigger pickup to do this. Some of the local campgrounds let you rent by the month and next summer I'm thinking of doing that so that I can tow my boat back and forth.

I did find a site called RV.NET you can check out. Let me know if there any good. Or, any other good sites you find. I would appreciate it if you did.

Thanks, Caveman Charlie

We spend our summers at a Lake and live in our Fifth Wheel three weeks out of the month. I do tow the boat home a couple times in the summer to go to other lakes but most of the time from May to October it stays at the same lake. Fortunately that lake is only 35 miles from our home so going and towing back and forth is no big deal. We live within 16 miles of three of the Largest inland lakes in Michigan to so close lake access is no problem. I would have had to keep a Fifth Wheel under 28Ft to legally tow our boat behind it and that's just to small of a trailer to live in for extended times like we do. So I too have to make two trips once in a while to get everything from point A to point B.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I've also see people who I think retired and just live in there camper. They will stay at one campground for a month and then move on to the next one. As it gets colder they start working there way down south. Local campground rates are about 15 a day which is roughly 500 a month. You can't buy, or rent, a cottage on the lake for that amount of money. The campgrounds down south have a bad reputation but, around here they are quite nice.

Did any of you see the movie RV with Robin Williams? It was hilarious.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I've also see people who I think retired and just live in there camper. They will stay at one campground for a month and then move on to the next one. As it gets colder they start working there way down south. Local campground rates are about 15 a day which is roughly 500 a month. You can't buy, or rent, a cottage on the lake for that amount of money. The campgrounds down south have a bad reputation but, around here they are quite nice.

Did any of you see the movie RV with Robin Williams? It was hilarious.

Yes but that surely doesn't give an accurate picture of real campers. I agree it was hilarious. Those fulltimers that live in their campers don't live in campers under 33 ft and most have 3-5 slide outs. Their campers start in the 43 thousand range and go as high as 1 1/2 million dollars. The image that ignorant people have about full timers and I use the term Ignorant respectfully in the sense ( Lack of Knowledge). Is that they are basically a bunch of vagabonds and that is far from the truth. They just choose to sell their homes and travel living basically tax and carefree from the Home maintenance syndrome. Many stay in one area all winter or all summer or migrate according to the weather. They rent a site by the Month or season and only pay 2-300 dollars a month lot rent. Let's see when I think about my property taxes that would pay for my campsite easily and put some gas in my tank to site see coming and going. This kind of life style though Is not for everyone so the next class are the snowbirds and they are all in the north and wish to escape the hard humdrum of winter so they flee the Cold, Ice and snow and retreat to the far south and west for the winter. Then their are a few summer birds like us who prefer to spend as much of our summer as possible living in our Portable cabins at the Lake Skiing, Fishing, Boating, swimming and relaxing with friends and family. We are what I call Summerbirds in contrast to snowbirds. Which we by the way are seriously considering to do next winter. Head for Fla for about four months Jan- May. We also are planning on some three and four day Boat trips this summer so I bought a 15x15 Ft. Screen Room with a fulll wind break (a full tarp) and an air mattress. We will sleep in that and eat in Restaurants as we boat some lg Michigan Chains of lakes. I can't pull the Boat and Fifth Wheel Trailer so I had to do something and this way I can pack the gear in the Boat from one campsite to the next lake and campsite.
Last year and up to ten days ago I was way to ill to even ride a bicycle. I've had seven surgeries since the 28th of November 2007 with the last one the 13thof February and I truly do hope it's the last one. Time and health will determine what we are able to do.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Yes that is a GReat Site and the only Camper Forum Site I know of. There may be some Brand Loyal sites like Jayco or Wilderness I don't know ????

cbavier

Lieutenant

Yes that www.rv.net is a Great Site and the only Camper Forum Site I know of. There may be some Brand Loyal sites like Jayco, Coachmen or Wilderness I don't know ???? I never tried any others. www.rv.net has been around a long time and has a lot of topics with over a half a million hits on that topic.

Each site serves it's own purpose. I like AiBoats because it seems to focus more and is oriented on small boats. Which meets my boating interests and you could not find a better bunch of members. It seems every topic is covered and every type of problem has been addressed. The guys are more than willing to help without belittling even the simplest of questions.

I think back to one of my college classes and the instructor ask if anybody had a question about a part of the class. Everybody just sat silently. Finally I raised my hand and said I have a dumb question. The instructor stopped me and said there are no dumb questions just dumb people. Because if one person has a question there are certainly other persons who have the same question or doubts but are afraid to ask the question. Then he proceeded to ask me what my question was and tried to answer it. Now I probably would have forgot what the question was after his statements. Ha! ha1 It's fun getting old. That's why we have Check Lists.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Yes but that surely doesn't give an accurate picture of real campers. I agree it was hilarious. Those fulltimers that live in their campers don't live in campers under 33 ft and most have 3-5 slide outs. Their campers start in the 43 thousand range and go as high as 1 1/2 million dollars. The image that ignorant people have about full timers and I use the term Ignorant respectfully in the sense ( Lack of Knowledge). Is that they are basically a bunch of vagabonds and that is far from the truth. They just choose to sell their homes and travel living basically tax and carefree from the Home maintenance syndrome. Many stay in one area all winter or all summer or migrate according to the weather. They rent a site by the Month or season and only pay 2-300 dollars a month lot rent. Let's see when I think about my property taxes that would pay for my campsite easily and put some gas in my tank to site see coming and going. This kind of life style though Is not for everyone so the next class are the snowbirds and they are all in the north and wish to escape the hard humdrum of winter so they flee the Cold, Ice and snow and retreat to the far south and west for the winter. Then their are a few summer birds like us who prefer to spend as much of our summer as possible living in our Portable cabins at the Lake Skiing, Fishing, Boating, swimming and relaxing with friends and family. We are what I call Summerbirds in contrast to snowbirds. Which we by the way are seriously considering to do next winter. Head for Fla for about four months Jan- May. We also are planning on some three and four day Boat trips this summer so I bought a 15x15 Ft. Screen Room with a fulll wind break (a full tarp) and an air mattress. We will sleep in that and eat in Restaurants as we boat some lg Michigan Chains of lakes. I can't pull the Boat and Fifth Wheel Trailer so I had to do something and this way I can pack the gear in the Boat from one campsite to the next lake and campsite.
Last year and up to ten days ago I was way to ill to even ride a bicycle. I've had seven surgeries since the 28th of November 2007 with the last one the 13thof February and I truly do hope it's the last one. Time and health will determine what we are able to do.

Yes, the movie did not give a accurate picture of camping life. But, I think everyone knows anything with Robin Williams doing comedy is going to be exaggerated. I might do the, as you call it, summerbird, thing myself someday. And, I wouldn't say all of the people I have seen doing it are in 43000 dollar campers. But, some are.I saw one guy once who was pulling his camper with a semi tractor . They all seem to have there campers fixed up nice and the way they want them.

If you get a wind break/screen room get a good one. Those screen rooms you get a wall mart and set up outside are handy but, built quite cheap and kinda a pain to set up. Especially after you lose the directions. :redface:lol.

cbavier

Lieutenant

If you get a wind break/screen room get a good one. Those screen rooms you get a wall mart and set up outside are handy but, built quite cheap and kinda a pain to set up. Especially after you lose the directions. :redface:lol.

We got the one that has the scissor system for the Frame work. It's really Heavy Duty. It cost a little more but will last.....I Hope!
I have about $140 in the whole set up. We can use it as a screen house or put up the wind tarp and use it to break the wind or use it as a tent.

It won't get used a lot but it will be there if we want it. I keep it in our trailer in case i do want it. For the boat trips I'll just put it in the boat. I've got to pick up a couple cheap sleeping bags yet. Summer weight.

woosterken

Lieutenant

check out goodsamclub dot com
woosterken