wifi printer

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
My all in one printer broke, 2nd one in a year, so went out and bought a hp wifi printer. Having some problems setting it up. Have cable internet that goes to modem from there goes to a d-link wireless router. My desktop pc plugs into the router for internet service and I have no problem with wireless service with my laptop. The router has 3 avaible ethernet plugs. I pluged the printer in using the supply ethernet cord and pluged the desktop into the printer using a usb cable. Loaded the cd on the desktop first then went to load on laptop and will not load. Download the drivers to the laptop and still no luck.

Does anyone have any experence senting a wireless printer up, or any thoughts to what to try next.

I've tried hp online help they where no help.

tommays

Admiral
Re: wifi printer

Well if can not connect with the USB cable to set it up there is a problem from step one

If you connect it with the wired ethernet cable it should show up if you look at the DHCP table in the router menu

BUT what do the instructions say about a default IP adress on the printer :confused:

For wireless if your useing any kind of security the KEY would have to be setup on the printer to even allow it to connect

Tommays

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm using a wireless Linksys WPS54G printserver. Yes, I had trouble setting it up. I found that I must follow the setup instructions in the EXACT order (i.e. cable connects, power-on, etc.) for it to work. It's tempermental.

rogerwa

Commander

I think I have the same setup as you.. i bought the HP 7460 a couple of months ago and did not have any problem getting the wireless to work. let me know what problems you are seeing and maybe I can help.

One thing you will want to do is to ensure you are using a static IP on the printer. When you install the drivers, it points to an IP address and you don't want your printer changing addresses.

One other thing that will help is to set your router up so that the dynamic address range is distinctly diiferent than you static addresses. On my Linksys there is no way to reserve static addresses, I just had to redefine my DHCP range (moved it to 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.250)

Xcusme

Commander

My all in one printer broke, 2nd one in a year, so went out and bought a hp wifi printer. Having some problems setting it up. Have cable internet that goes to modem from there goes to a d-link wireless router. My desktop pc plugs into the router for internet service and I have no problem with wireless service with my laptop. The router has 3 avaible ethernet plugs. I pluged the printer in using the supply ethernet cord and pluged the desktop into the printer using a usb cable. Loaded the cd on the desktop first then went to load on laptop and will not load. Download the drivers to the laptop and still no luck.

Does anyone have any experence senting a wireless printer up, or any thoughts to what to try next.

I've tried hp online help they where no help.

HP usually wants the printer drivers installed before you plug in the Cat5 cable and power on the printer. To keep things simple, connect both the desktop and printer into the RJ45 ports on the router using Cat5 cables.

Once the printer driver and utilities are installed, you should be able to change the printers network settings to suit your needs. I prefer to set the network settings manually, so I disable the DHCP function in the printer (turn off- obtain IP automatically) and set a static IP address. With a static IP address, you'll always know 'where' the printer is in your LAN. Remember to NOT pick a static IP address that is within the routers DHCP default range, typically 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.150. In English, that means Don't pick any IP address that falls between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.150.
Since the printer is wireless enabled, you can connect it to your LAN wirelessly too, no Cat5 cable is needed. You will need the SSID of your wireless LAN and the WPA or WEP code to get it connected to the router. Again, I find it easier to setup the printer with a static IP address.

Xcusme

Commander

On my Linksys there is no way to reserve static addresses, I just had to redefine my DHCP range (moved it to 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.250)

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question, if I may. Wouldn't it have been easier to manually change the static IP of the printer to one that was outside the default DHCP range of the router instead of moving the routers DHCP range?

rogerwa

Commander

Nope. I had a number of static devices (printer, Myth DVR, D-link print server) that would required a bunch of changes.. Changing the DHCP range was easy..

It was my mistake to allow these as static in this range in the first place.

BTW, if the printer in question is the 7460, it is easier to setup the printer first because the software will search the network for the printer to set the driver up correctly.

Xcusme

Commander

Hey X get that interface and soft working???

HA! HA! HA! That's cute...
I've been so busy lately , I haven't had time to turn around.
I'll try to get back on track in my search this weekend.
Thanks for asking.

Xcusme

Commander

Nope. I had a number of static devices (printer, Myth DVR, D-link print server) that would required a bunch of changes.. Changing the DHCP range was easy..

It was my mistake to allow these as static in this range in the first place.

BTW, if the printer in question is the 7460, it is easier to setup the printer first because the software will search the network for the printer to set the driver up correctly.

Gotcha ;)

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a 6988. Does a wireless printer care if its recieving a wireless signal from a laptop and hard wired to my desktop via a usb cable?

tommays

Admiral

YES

To do the setup , if you have the wireless securty you should be useing it is the only way to give the printer the info it needs to connect to the wireless network

Tommays

Xcusme

Commander

its a 6988. Does a wireless printer care if its recieving a wireless signal from a laptop and hard wired to my desktop via a usb cable?

qaz...perhaps you're a bit confused, so here's some basics. Connect your desktop computer directly to the router with a Cat5 cable, any one of the 4 ports will do, it doesn't matter which one. Your laptop is connected wirelessly to the router, so you're all set there.
Now you have 2 options with the printer. You can connect it to the router with a Cat5 cable OR connect it to the router wirelessly. Either way, pick one way and give the printer a static IP address.
You'll end up with a printer that is available to print from the desktop computer and the laptop. All routing of the print jobs is sent through the router to the printer.
FYI: When wireless devices are 'linked' via radio signals to a router, this is called Infrastructure Mode.
If two (or more) wireless devices are connected wirelessly to each other without a router, this is called Adhock Mode.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

It's possible you've totally confused your printer.

If I read this correctly, you've connected your printer

1) Network connected via WiFi
2) Cat5 (Ethernet) connected to the router
3) USB connected to your desk top PC.

Try going just one way. It sounds like you're using Cat5 for all connections except your laptop. That's ok, so connect it only via Cat5.

As others have said, I, too, find it easier to assign a fixed IP address to my printer. Be sure you enable that address in both your router and your firewall software. If you use hardware MAC addresses for additional security, make sure that's enabled, too.

For your own safety, I hope you have higher levels of encryption enabled on your network.

How did it go when you went to install a new printer from your Windoze control panel from both the desktop an dlaptop? You selected to add a local printer (not a network printer) but then did it by IP address? This approach seemed counterintuitive when I did it at first, but it works.

HTH

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I did something similar and the problem I had was in establishing the printer from each computer. I kept doing the wrong steps. Read this thread especially my last response
Network Printer install

I kept trying to hook up a network printer to each computer instead of connecting a printer to each computer. If you follow the steps and you already have an established TCPIP address for the printer this could be your problem.