Getting too much Zucchini?

aspeck

Staff member
Try these - Zucchini "Crab" Cakes<br /><br />Used yellow squash since we have an overabundance right now - they were delicious!<br /><br />INGREDIENTS:<br />1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (or yellow squash), drained well<br />1 egg, beaten<br />2 tablespoons butter, melted<br />1 cup bread crumbs<br />1/4 minced onion<br />1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning<br />1/4 cup all-purpose flour<br />1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying<br /><br />DIRECTIONS:<br />In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg and butter. Stir in seasoned crumbs, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well.<br /><br />Shape mixture into patties. Dredge in flour<br /><br />In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.<br /><br />Serve and eat as you would crab cakes - with horseradish sauce, cocktail sauce, or tartar sauce. Makes good sandwiches also.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Getting too much Zucchini?

Now that is trying to make a 'silk purse' out of a 'sows ear' if I ever saw it! :rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Raising any kind of summer squash or zucchini is like trying to take a sip out of a fire hydrant.<br /><br />I always picked it very young, cut it into sticks and ate it raw with ranch dressing as a dip. YUM!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ANY zuchinni is too much zuchinni.

ndemge

Commander

I think that sounds yummy :) <br /><br />Our Zucs are pretty much done for the year already.<br /><br />Tomatoes pretty much bit the dust as well, too cool this year, very strange for STL

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the only good vegetable is on someone else's plate ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> ANY zuchinni is too much zuchinni.
YUP! You nailed it roscoe! :)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

My Bride and I consider the produce section at the store "our garden". Or a stop at local roadsides in the country.<br /><br />Way to much work for us to grow stuff, but, we do have a 4 x 4 raised bed plot for rhubarb. Love that pie and the bread my Bride makes!!!<br /><br />Were we to garden in our dodage, defanitly would go the raised bed route.

Link

Rear Admiral

Ain't FAIR! Actually it was good timing.<br />Mrs.Link called while I was posting a couple minutes ago. Read her the recipe and she requested it tonight for dinner with her mom! <br /><br />I can tell you right now they are going to love it! Unless I really goof it up. As long as I don't have to eat it I don't mind cooking it! :) <br /><br />Will post around 10pm when we get home to tell how it turned out.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Is there a method to stuff zucchini??<br /><br />Just a thought, but hollowed out some, fill with meat of choice, enjoy!<br /><br />Am thinking of some sort of beef, seafood or poultry prepared mix to stuff with, then bake in butter. Example: grilled chicken diced, onion diced, grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits (real bacon, spices of choice, and so on.<br /><br />BTW aspeck, your recipe sounds yummoooo! May suprise my Bride with it ( I will prepare it), however, my kids will sure enough stare blankly at it and declare they will not like it......figures....

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Is there a method to stuff zucchini??<br /><br />Just a thought, but hollowed out some, fill with meat of choice, enjoy!<br /><br />Am thinking of some sort of beef, seafood or poultry prepared mix to stuff with, then bake in butter. Example: grilled chicken diced, onion diced, grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits (real bacon, spices of choice, and so on.<br /><br />BTW aspeck, your recipe sounds yummoooo! May suprise my Bride with it ( I will prepare it), however, my kids will sure enough stare blankly at it and declare they will not like it......figures....

aspeck

Staff member

I had it at lunch - was real good - except no meat on the table - got real hungry real quick.

phatmanmike

Captain

i have made crabcakes, which are usually too pricy for me, but use canned ablacore tuna, only 1 dollar a can. with enough old bay, you cant even tell!!!

LadyFish

Admiral

In this recipe zucchini are hollowed into 'boats' and stuffed with bread crumbs, Cheddar cheese, onion, parsley, egg and Parmesan cheese. A hearty side dish or main meal." Original recipe yield: 4 servings.<br /><br />INGREDIENTS:<br /><br /> * 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, halved<br /> * 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs<br /> * 2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese<br /> * 1/4 cup minced onion<br /> * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley<br /> * 1 1/4 teaspoons salt<br /> * 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided<br /> * 2 eggs, beaten<br /> * 2 tablespoons butter, diced<br /><br />DIRECTIONS:<br /><br /> 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).<br /> 2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. Scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, making a 'boat'.<br /> 3. In a medium bowl combined zucchini flesh, bread crumbs, Cheddar cheese, onion, parsley, salt, most of the Parmesan cheese and egg. Fill zucchini boats with mixture. Dot tops with butter and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.<br /> 4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

LadyFish

Admiral

Made with a sausage and Parmesan cheese stuffing. I'm sure you could use hamburger meat in leiu of sausage.<br /><br />INGREDIENTS:<br /><br /> * 4 medium zucchini<br /> * 1/4 pound pork sausage<br /> * 1/4 cup chopped onion<br /> * 1 clove garlic minced<br /> * 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese<br /> * 1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers<br /> * 1 egg, lightly beaten<br /> * 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled<br /> * 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste<br /> * dash pepper<br /><br />PREPARATION:<br />Directions for stuffed zucchini<br />Cook whole zucchini in boiling salted water until just tender, about 6 to 9 minutes. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out squash, mash, and set aside. Place shells in a shallow baking dish; set aside. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook sausage with chopped onion; drain off excess fat; stir in mashed zucchini. Reserving 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese for topping, add remaining Parmesan cheese to the meat mixture along with remaining ingredients. Mix well. Spoon mixture into zucchini shells; sprinkle stuffed zucchini with the reserved 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake stuffed zucchini at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes.<br />Stuffed zucchini serves 4.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

thnx for sharing those LF ... sound real good!<br /><br />going to try that 1st one when I get home tomarrow.