Transom getting rotten, need to replace

frosteeone

Seaman
What type of wood should be used to make a new one? I have a 14' Lowe, aluminum, semi hull that's at least 20 years old. 9.9 mercury.

I imagine I can just unscrew the old one and use it as a template for a new one.

I heard of something you guys refer to as marine plywood.

I'm just looking for shortcuts or how to avoid doing something stupid (like not putting it back on correctly and losing my engine).

I've been doing this for a few years, but I only get out on the water 6 or 7 times a year.

Thanks
Jeff in St. Louis.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom getting rotten, need to replace

Marine plywood is better than normal plywood... It doesn't sound like you'll have a terrible time replace the transom on that boat.

You might check into a marine composite though - it'll never go bad.. Depends on what your budget is. Many boats are 100% wood free these days.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

pressure treated plywood is the norm for wood transoms....

marine grade hust has less interior voids and is dryer...

if you wse pressure treated you will also need to use special screw's for the ply....

if the transoms all there...use it as a template

cheers
oops

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Is this a full transom, side-to-side, top-to-bottom? Or is it a transom pad, ie. wooden panel bolted to the stern. Either way, I have used exterior grade ply in both situations with good luck. How you seal/waterproof it is your choice; paint, resin, or resin/glass. Some on the forum say that pressure treated ply will react badly with aluminum...don't know, never been rich enough to spring for pressure treated or marine grade ply.

frosteeone

Seaman

Thanks for your responses.

Sorry, I haven't lifted the cover in awhile (cold/snowy) so I was posting my question from memory (47 yr old memory?fading, too many beers).

I never knew what you called it, but I believe it is a transom pad. -- Yes, there is a smaller piece of wood on the outside & the full piece of wood (that matches the aluminum transom) on the inside.

Inside is fine (and surrounded by back of boat seat/anchor equipment, etc. so it would be difficult to remove. Perhaps I'll just apply some type of resin to the inside piece).

So getting back to the outside?..what I recall noticing is that the bolt heads and washers, that hold it to the back of the boat, is started to sink into the wood farther and farther.

So I'm not really in danger of losing my engine, since there's still the inside part of the wood and the aluminum transom to hold it on.

I guess I'll just cut a matching piece of wood (pressure treated?) for the outside and replace all the bolts that attached it. So new question??

Is there a special type of bolt/washer/nut to use? -- I'll assume galvanized.

Thanks all. -- I can't wait to get back out there. All my indoor chores are done and I'm getting' cabin fever.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you have any problem, (goto Boat Restoration and Building) and you can find a lot of information on this. I read a few of the thread there and got plenty of ideas. so should you. good Luck.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Stainless steel bolts and nylon locking nuts with washers.Exterior grade plywood that has been soaked with several thin coats of epoxy resin.
The chemicals in pressure treated ply don't get along well with aluminum..

frosteeone

Seaman

Ah, thanks beezee, Gary and the rest.....

Tip on the pressure treated/aluminum. (I'd never heard that). I will go to that website and learn more.

Stainless steel bolts w/nylon locking nuts/washers. YES!

I've still got awhile before I take her out, plenty of time to think about this.