Motor break

Waters Edge

Recruit
I have a 2002 Crest pontoon with a 50 HP Mercury outboard motor; model 50ELPTO. Can you advise me on solving a problem when the motor "breaks loose" or looses traction from time to time. The most frequent occurrence of this problem is when I have the extra weight of 6-7 passengers and I try to raise the speed of the pontoon. It will also happen when raising the trim or I turn sharply to either side. The transom bracket is at the lowest setting. The prop is a U6-512. I would sure welcome your advice on this matter. First time user...hope I'm doing this right!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor break

This is a not-so-uncommon thing with a pontoon. It has a lot to do with the fact the motor (and therefore the prop) is usually placed in very turblent water. They actually make props specific for pontoons. Low rake, expanded blade area and good cup.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor break

And typically a four blade. Large blade area is desireable since a pontoon needs lots of reverse thrust as well. Blades on a pontoon prop tend to have sort of a "uniform" shape to them unlike the blades on a standard prop. That's also why motors with higher gear ratios are used on pontoons. It allows use of larger diameter props. Mercs BigFoot for example has a 2.33:1 ratio rather than the 1.83:1 as used on standard Merc engines in the 40-50-60 HP range. Yamaha also has what they call a "high-thrust" motor. Suzuki, Johnson and Evinrude all tend to use higher gear ratios in those size motors.