2002 150HPDI tilt/trim swich removal

graysilm

Cadet
my t/t switch is going haywire. its not the one on the trottle but the one on the outboard. Does anyone know the proper way to remove this switch?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 150HPDI tilt/trim swich removal

remove the two bolts holding the clip, unclip the wires, installation is the reverse.

graysilm

Cadet

thanks for the reply. I'm going to order the part today. I'm not near my boat right now, so I was wondering if you could tell me this. Is there good access to remove this switch, or do I have to remove other parts first? Do I have to remove the lower cowl housing? Thanks.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, unless a whole heck of a lot has changed, you should be good to go. It's a super easy job. I recently replaced the one on my 1989 90HP and it took all of about 15 minutes. Mine went out (kept going up for awhile on it's own - very frustrating when riding around in the water) then finally just quit going up. Would go down, but not up. The good news was the one in the control kept working. So, rather than praying that kept working without a backup, I replaced it. Where did you get yours from? I got mine from boats.net for a LOT cheaper than any dealer would sell it to me for. Their site is non fun to search for items unless you have a part number. I think the one for your motor is $38, but I could be wrong on that part number.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PS, there's a gasket for that switch too that costs about $3. My switch didn't come with one and I ended up ordering it later. Just FYI.

graysilm

Cadet

thanks for the tip on the gasket. I talked with a local dealer today who said they had a switch in stock for $49.00. I don't know if that includes the gasket or not. I will just buy it from the dealer since I need it asap. Right now it is always wanting to trim up. I use this boat for work towing things and this issue has been driving me crazy.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine did that one day while out scouting for an island to camp on. Ended up spraying the snot out of it with some WD-40 and she only did it every now and then. Eventually (couple times out), it just gave up working to go up (the short finally gave up). Definitly ask about the gasket. Mine looked OK when I pulled the old one out, but I'm a believer in replacing a gasket any time I come across it!