Starting a small outboard in trash can?

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just looked at a post from Super Chopper ( Cooling system on '74 Evinrude 15hp) To me it looks like the motor is mounted on his boat and running it in a trash can full of water. I have an Evinrude 9.5 short shaft and was wondering. How far in the water dose the lower shaft have to be in order to run it this way? I live in OH and just got this motor and would like to tune/adjust before summer gets here. Thanks for your help.

Patrick.

iwombat

Captain
Re: Starting a small outboard in trash can?

The whole lower unit, up to where the case splits from the midsection should be fully submerged.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just be sure that your water pump is fully submerged, beneath the water line.

Sorry IW, same time.

Last edited:

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Locate the water pick up fpr the pump, usually by the cavitation plate, rule of thumb is get half the lower unit in the water.

different types of stands have been made and work well, just make sure your engine is secure and do not run it in gear, never above an idle no more than 1000 rpm.

What do mechanics use? Is there something more practical than a garbage can?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Garbage cans, drums, or these handy devices that fold up work well.

Water Bin for testing.jpg

If you keep it at idle you can use a flusher, commonly referred to as 'muffs'

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not going to run it fast. I have seen too many posts/threads on here about that. I was told that the motor hasnt been run for about a year and a half. So, the first thing im doing is checking the water pump and replacing the impeller. Then I want to check the fuel pump and carb. Knowing that I can run it at low RPM's in a trash can. I can tune it a bit. It will save me the trouble of driving to the lake and unable to start or worse! Thanks again for your help.

Patrick

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, and muffs

flusher.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

For the 9.5 HP, there is no practical and safe way other than a bucket, because of the way cooling water is drawn in. The primary water source on the 9.5 is the screened inlet directly above the propeller. It has a secondary water inlet above the anti-ventilation plate.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

So as long as I have the primary and secondary water inlets covered. I should be ok?

iwombat

Captain

Not exactly. You need to fill it over the water pump so it primes properly. Just make sure it's touching the midsection cover and you'll be fine.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Not run in a year and a half?

Read the FAQ on awakening a motor, great info.

replace water pump, rebuild carbs, sure to have varnish after sit that long,
run in barrel, garbage can whatever you may have, you can use a plastic garbage can for that engine and it will be sufficient, in-expensive at the home depot or where ever. 30 gal will be sufficient.

By running in a barrel with foot submerged it simulates actual running conditions as there is back pressure on the exhaust and you can tune it in a real world scenerio.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

By running in a barrel with foot submerged it simulates actual running conditions as there is back pressure on the exhaust and you can tune it in a real world scenerio
But there will be danger that the engine will breathe its own exhaust gases so mucking up any tuning you attempt. Do it on a breezy day perhaps or with a fan to blow the gases away.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You can simulate running conditions with a test wheel in a properly constructed test tank but not in a barrel. Tie the boat securely to the dock and make your adjustments with the engine in gear, or strap it to the trailer and back it in far enough to cover the water pump and put it in gear.

Edit: Don't run your 9.5HP motor at over 1500 RPM in the barrel; there is too great a risk of a runaway engine.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Yes there is an exhaust factor, do not recommend doing this in a garage, lots of fumes.

Quote (I live in OH and just got this motor and would like to tune/adjust before summer gets here. Thanks for your help.) Quote

This is only for rough Idle settings of carb, as Ezeke was pointing out need to be in the water to simulate real world, "IN GEAR", where as in the barrel it is not put in gear so no high speed adjustments can be made.

On muffs no back pressure so engine will idle higher, then when at the ramp engine tends to stall due to idle speed setting to low, thus adjusting idle in a barrel is the same as at the ramp.

Discussing semantics here.

Summarize, do your rough adjustments in the barrel as much as possible and that safety will allow, idle speed adjust, check make sure choke is adjusted and working properly, if it has a charging system can test it with voltmeter, all sort of useful maintenance can be donme in a barrel,when you finally get the chance, weather permitting finish adjustments at the ramp, tied to dock etc etc

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

strap it to the trailer and back it in far enough to cover the water pump and put it in gear.

Better at the dock. Making adjustments on the ramp, around here anyways, is a good way to get banned from using the ramp, along with a few sneers and dirty looks. ;) It speeds the corrosion process of the ramp up, not to mention slowing the trailering process. Although, I do use fairly busy ramps.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I did read the FAQ on awakening a motor. In fact, I printed it out. After I replace the impeller and make sure the water pump is ok. I want to start it just to make sure it will run. At least that will tell me that I have spark, fuel pump works and carb it working. Then, when I get on the water. Ill find my own little cove and do final needed adjustments.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a game plan, let us know how it turns out on initial start up.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yea, I did read the FAQ on awakening a motor. In fact, I printed it out. After I replace the impeller and make sure the water pump is ok. I want to start it just to make sure it will run. At least that will tell me that I have spark, fuel pump works and carb it working. Then, when I get on the water. Ill find my own little cove and do final needed adjustments.

I would add compression test to that list as well, not to say that there is anything wrong, but to use as a benchmark for the future. Plus it is good to know the compression on a new motor to you.

patrickray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression test is on the list. Autozone has the screw in type that I can rent for free. I love that price!
I will defently let you all know how it works out. I dont think Ill be able to do it this weekend (too cold) But next weekend is looking good.
I bought the motor and boat off of ebay. The guy told me that the motor ran great when he last used it. But you never know. Heres what I got.

Selling my 16 foot 1988 Landau jonboat. Boat is in great shape for the year with no leaks. Included with this boat is a 1989 Cox boat trailer with excellent tires. Also included is a 1972 Evinrude Sportwin 9 1/2 HP shortshaft ourboard with a 4 1/2 gallon steel gas tank. Runs great without any problems. Perfect for this boat. Owners manual included. There is also a Minnkota Endura 50# thrust electric troller motor with a newer EverStart Max marine battery with 875 marine cranking amps with a reserve capacity of 225 amps. This battery also powers all the boat lights and the concenience 12 volt power outlet. All loads are seperately fused. Bow and stern lights are toggle switched. Comes also with two anchors,marine first aid kit,oar,life vests,tool kit with exrta spark plugs and points etc,fishing net. Pretty much all you have to do is put her in the water and head out fishing. Everything is there to make it legal to operate. Have all neccessary paperwork. I bought this boat a year and a half ago but decided to sell it because im not much of a fisherman im afraid. You all have seen the pic. Seemed like a good deal for $1600