New member, Fuel question

spdclp

Recruit
I've just joined your forum. After reading for a while, I decided to join. Seems like it's a great avenue for information.
We have a 135 Optimax on one of our boats. We're currently using the Mercury recommended Optimax oil. At 35.00+ a gallon, I'm thinking there HAS to be something cheaper to run besides Mercury's oil. It's out of warranty, so I'm not too concerned about using after market and voiding the warratny.
Any suggestions?
(I know not to us TCW-3. Just thinking about an alternative.)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: New member, Fuel question

Check the owners manual for alternative oils. I recently needed to look up the alternative oils that were allowed for my neighbor's '06 150HP Optimax. He had put regular TCW-III in it, and we were looking to see if that was OK. The owners manual said it was OK, but we sucked it out and refilled with OPTI oil anyway.

spdclp

Recruit

Chris1956,
That's exactly what we did, but took it a step further and actually run it with TCW-3 in it. After it started running rough, we took it to the shop and found the engine had overheated and tempature sensors had actually melted due to overheating! AALMOST cost us alot of money.
Another reason I really want to make sure that the alternative is acceptible.
Thanks for the reply.
Any other suggestions?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would be inclined to stick to the oil or alternative that the maker recommends. DFI engines don't have the luxury of fuel to transport oil into the crankcase and it seems reasonable to me that they would require a different oil, particularly because they use so much less than carbed engines.