rotten drain plug!

pulleyman123

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a new 17' 1987 Reinell. The piece that the drain plug screws into is not attatched. It uses four screws on the outside of the boat. Can I just screw it back in, can i use RTV to create a gasket, maybe RTV in the screw holes too. I'm worried it won't seal and also worried that water will get into the transom. Also, can I just seal the screw holes and pop a rubber plug into the hole. Please help, thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: rotten drain plug!

sounds like your new boat has some rot in the transom. explore more.

pulleyman123

Seaman Apprentice

It's not rot, the previous owner just removed the whole piece rather than unscrewing the plug. I just want to prevent rot in the future.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Put it back with RTV and go boating.. check for leaks at the dock..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Put it back with RTV and go boating.. check for leaks at the dock..
RTV junk below water line ...(comes in many flavors too)..
Slam it back in with 3M 5200, or 4200 ..good to go...

Willyclay

Captain

I cannot stretch my imagination far enough to believe the previous owner just removed the garboard drain fitting for convenience. If TD says, explore more, you might want to follow that input from a VERY knowledgeable boater and Moderator of this forum. Good luck.

Last edited:

studlymandingo

Commander

Sage advice from WillyClay; don't take the sellers word at face value. Check it thoroughly just to be safe.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the further explore option just to have the piece of mind. If it all checks out okay remove the garboard setup thats currently there take plug out inspect threads. If all good I would reseal the existing holes with marine tex drill new holes seal all well with 5200. Dont use rtv it won't hold up below water line. If the old drain or plug is questionable at all I would replace it they sell them here and they aren't much money.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he may have put a galvinized plug in the fitting, rusted to itself. could not drain anyother way. or stripped the screws out trying to free it. if you use the screw in type, put a little plumbers teflon tape on it. then tighten.