Need cobra bell crank tool install shift cable

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello I just need to know where/IF I can get the omc cobra tools to install a new shift cable on my gulf streem,I know/////// LOL. The shift cable is still good{ shifts good } but it has a slight leak on the shift boot ,Its a1987 460 ford with low fresh water hours and i want to keep it going as long as i can . still runs great .{always looking for parts} Thanks JD

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Need cobra bell crank tool install shift cable

you really don't need that belcrank tool, if your mechanically inclined you can do the whole job without anything special, the belcrank alignment is nothing more than a jig to hold the belcrank perfectly vertical to the case, it's not hard at all to do without a jig, trial and error take your time it's not like your being paid to do it and you can take all day if you want to.
whoops I just saw you have an 87' this applies only to the Cobra drives.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The shift cable is still good{ shifts good } but it has a slight leak on the shift boot

OMC doesn't have a "Shift boot" there is a hose insde the boat that the shift cable runs thru. Are you sure the hose is above the waterline? It can not lay in the bilge, it must be routed so the hose end is above the water line.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

there were some king cobra decals stuck on dog clutch cobras and placed behind the 460, the 28 bayliner cirera was a fine example.
the cone clucth cable comes in on the port side and the dog clutch come in on the lower stbd.
the crank tool was nice but most times I just used a t square.
the objet is to keep the crank at 90* to the mounting surface.