interrupter switch

kwango

Recruit
Hi all newbie here after some info if you would be so kind.
I have a mariner 115 efi 4 stroke o/board and am having extreme problems getting out of gears to neutral,everything seems to point to the interrupter switch being at fault but a marine engineer says its ok having checked it with an avo meter set to ohms, as soon as the switch button is pressed the needle on the meter shoots right accross the dial,exactly the same thing happens when a new switch is tested.
My question is this the correct and only way to test this switch.
Out of the water with flush muffs the gear shift is silky smooth and the cables are fine.
Any help would be appreaciated.
Jim

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: interrupter switch

ok we now know the switch works.
now we need to know is the ECU "seeing" the signal and is the ECU acting on it.
while its running toggle the switch, the engine should misfire and run rough. this allows the load to be taken off the propshaft and the clutch to pull away from the dogs.
all bets are off if your using black teleflex cables.
if your using a laptop or a scan tool you can look for any incorrect shift position switch codes and look to see if the ECU recognizes the switch as on or off.
the test lamp can show a code but not the state of the switch.

kwango

Recruit

Hi Rodbolt thanks for replying.My boat is out of the water at the moment and the switch is still in bolted to the engine,not to easy to get off,dont have laptop or any high tech stuff so is there an easy way of teting the ecu.
Thanks Jim

kwango

Recruit

Also forgot tomention i have grey platinum cables