New "Small block" diesel for our I/O's

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy people,

I recently saw this article from the SAE ( Society of Automotive Engrs....they are a completely NON-profit automotive engineer organization for those of you that don't know) and it appears that GM is going to have a great engine that will almost be tailor-made for boats. The exhaust requirements for it will pretty easy to fulfill because it has NO exhaust manifolds. There'll be an exhaust output that would probably be taken care of using a normal water jacketed and water injected "riser" that would dump into the "Y-tube" on I/O's

The difference being the Y-tube would really be more of an I-tube like an inline engine would use.

Right now they are planning to use it in Trucks, Tahoes, Suburbans, etc (I even read about a twin turbo Corvette model!) but you can BET that GM Powertrain will be offering this engine to Volvo Penta and Mercruiser!

The engine is amazing. you'll have to read the SAE article to get all the stuff but at 4.5L displacement this thing might be pretty economical . It might burn half fuel burn of my 454. I WANT ONE IN FRONT OF MY BRAVO III !! :D

Cheers,

Rick

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: New "Small block" diesel for our I/O's

Dang my memory is getting bad. GMC back in the 60's converted a gas engine into a diesel and they used them some in boats. Worked on a few back yonder in the early days. They were gutless wonders.
Oh yeah, Toroflows.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if GM has finally learned how to design and build a diesel engine?
If it's anything like the 6.2, 6.5 or the 6.6 I'd look elsewhere.

erikgreen

Captain

I was interested in the D-tronics a while back, and investigated a diesel repower.

A marine diesel engine that could be coupled cheaply to a sterndrive in an older boat would be a good thing.. I'd run it on biodiesel myself.

Too bad this new motor will probably, if marine converted, be only available on new boats. I'll have to wait 10 years for the price to drop and some used models to be available in decent numbers.. I would never buy a brand new boat.

Of course, in 10 years I hope to have a boat big enough to run twin diesel inboards :)

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang my memory is getting bad. GMC back in the 60's converted a gas engine into a diesel and they used them some in boats. Worked on a few back yonder in the early days. They were gutless wonders.
Oh yeah, Toroflows.

If I recall right:
The only thing harder to get rid of than <insert horrible disease here> is one of those used-to-be a gas motor diesels. The auto versions had very bad reputations.

I'd buy a real diesel, but never a converted motor... Too much stress with 22:1 compression.

When I went to StingRay's website, I saw they offered several diesel options... Maybe for ocean-going / bay boats though?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You mean like the VW 1.5/1.6L diesels of the 70's, 80's, 90's and now? Or the 6.9/7.3L IH/Navistar?

Those engine among others WERE also based on gas engines. (The VW even put the vacuum pump drive wehre the distributor would go in the gas engine.

They were just designed correctly.

YES the original GM 5.7L diesel V-8 had problems (and so did a lot of others) Their problems were no fuel separators/filters, not enough head bolts, no turbochargers (no power), and some other stuff...

This new 4.5L engine is a new (radical) design in many ways...not having manifolds and having the cat converter integral with the heads etc.... And although there have been problems with the Duramax in trucks along the way, there have also been problems with other engines too. (Anybody have a Ford 6.0L diesel?)

I'm sorry this is not really I/O related except that this engine is going to be approx the same size or smaller than than a current 5.7L SBC. It will be perfect for our I/Os and will probably use FAR less fuel than even current diesels. (btw someone has already put a 6.6L DURAMAX in a boat!! just do a search for "Duramax boat")

Lets try not to turn this thread into "My engine is better than yours" or it will go like an oil thread. :eek: And a moderator will feel compelled to lock it! ;) (they may need to anyway!:D)

Cheers,

Rick

If I recall right:
The only thing harder to get rid of than <insert horrible disease here> is one of those used-to-be a gas motor diesels. The auto versions had very bad reputations.

QC

Supreme Mariner

In the article you may have noticed the real explanation for the internal exhaust manifold . . . EGR . . .

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well.....yeah....

I hate it but ALL diesels are getting Cooled EGR. even the previously exempt big trucks..

Mercruiser and VP have already have Cat converters either ready to go for 09 or so.......we cannot stop this stuff.....except to just keep rebuilding old boats etc!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, didn't really say it was bad, but many "features" that are marketed to us were actually necessitated by emiision regs. Some of it very good stuff . . . like uh, EFI, MPI, Common Rail, EUI, HEUI etc. Some, not so good, like catalytic converters, SCR (Bleeeccchh), EGR (not as bigaa blech) . . .

I'd still rather have a 2010 compliant electronic 7 liter making 300+ bhp than a 1970's NA 10 liter making 210 . . . ;)