Opinions needed on new 15HP 4 stroke

Jambo

Cadet
Hi All,

... new member here. Great forums! I've searched through alot of posts, but can't find specific opinions on new (2007-2008) 15hp 4 stroke outboards. From what I gather, the smaller 4 strokes such as this, don't come with EFI. I'm leaning toward the Honda or Suzuki/Johnsons, as some of the talk of vibration among some of the others has turned me away from those. I was surprised to hear that some smaller Yamahas(30-horse, I think I recall :confused: ) were also a bit shaky.
Locally(Winnipeg, Canada), The Honda and Suzuki are priced very close, and the Yamaha a few hundred less. The motor will be going on my 14ft aluminum fishing boat, and should be used for trolling(slow) and moving around the lakes.
Cost is not the deciding factor though, as I'm willing to pay a bit more for the best quality, and i'll be laying down the cash in the next few mths..... so i'm asking for any and all opinions...especially if you own/use one of these 15hp models.
Thanks in advance... much appreciated :)

Jambo

gss036

Commander
Re: Opinions needed on new 15HP 4 stroke

I have been running a Honda 15 hp since 1993 and it is still used as a kicker on my 23WA. Good motor, probably 3000 hrs, yes 3000, no misprint.
I know lots of friends who have them and also many that run Yamahas. I don't anyone at present that is running Suzuki or Johnson. I have that the Suzuki is a good motor also, but no experience with it.
All of the Mercury-Nissan and Tohatsu are made by Tohatsu.

The 2007 Honda is anew model and is on the same platfrom as the 20 HP and it comes with a lot of options and is pricey (if that is a word), it is late so excuse the spelling etc.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 97 I think OMC four stroke 15 hp. It was an Evinrude but I think it was OMC`s own version of the four stroke. I was shaky compared to my friends Honda 15. His was an older Honda also, late 90`s model.
Based on my somewhat dated info I`d buy a Honda.

I was talking to a guy at the dock one day he had a Honda 25 or 30? hp running. All I could see is it peeing couldn`t hear it. I asked him is it really running? He said yes and placed an empty plastic bottle on top of it. The bottle stayed right there still as could be. I have yet to see a smoother engine than a Honda.

You might want to consider a Mercury. They have a new line of small engines, the power heads are built by Tohatsu. They are EFI in the 25- 30hp but I don`t know if that goes down as low in hp as a 15.

Last edited:

Drowned Rat

Captain

I've just been breaking in a new 2007, 18hp Tohatsu and so far I really like it. Smooth power and very quiet.

Jambo

Cadet

wow... just the info I needed! I think I'll be getting the Honda. A little more expensive, but probably the last motor I will ever need. 'whofan' - your post about the stability of the Hondas really sealed the deal in my mind. Thanks for all replies! :)

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow... just the info I needed! I think I'll be getting the Honda. A little more expensive, but probably the last motor I will ever need. 'whofan' - your post about the stability of the Hondas really sealed the deal in my mind. Thanks for all replies! :)

I hope yours runs smooth to your liking as well. I never owned a Honda but been impressed with the ones I briefly encountered. You should note that a small motor may not be quite as smooth as a larger heavier one.
I don`t think theres a better motor out there in the 15hp Than a Honda.
People say Yamaha has a nice tiller handle. I`d buy the Honda.

The Boat MY friend with the Honda 15hp has is a Mirrocraft 14ft Deep fisherman. The boat has the three bench seats in it nothing fancy.
This was about 10 years ago when he bought the Honda new. THe dealer gave him a three gallon fuel tank with it. He told the dealer he wanted a six Gallon tank. The dealer told him to try the Three gallon gas tank. He was happy and glad he didn`t get the bigger tank. The little Honda just sips fuel.

Last edited: