recommended hp for alaskan 1800 side console

hatch

Recruit
I am purchasing an Alaskan 1800 side console. One dealer is selling the package with a 75 hp while the other is selling it with a 60 hp. Both are motors are Mercurys. The upgrade to 75hp is $1400. The argument against the 75 is it is not needed for power and speed and there would be negligible gains due to the additional motor weight of150lbs.

Any advise or thoughts?

Re: recommended hp for alaskan 1800 side console

Hatch,

I love the Alaskans..simple, tough boats.

I can't speak from first hand experience with these boats to your question, but I have encountered similar situations with similar boats in the past. So, here is my opinion:

First, I'd have both dealers price me out package deal with both motors and otherwise identical setups (trailers, locators, etc) to make sure you're comparing apples and apples. Not sure how Lund dealers operate in your area, but I have had price variances of up to $1000 between dealers here (Indiana and Illinois) on identical rigs. Also remember that there is negotiating room on these things too just like on a car (although the boat dealers seem to be a little easier to work with).

OK, as far as the power is concerned I think the 18' Alaskan is rated for a 90 HP when equipped with a console (75 with a tiller). The 60 and 75 will both push the boat well (with the 75 having some advantage in acceleration and top speed) when lightly loaded, but the differences in power will start to show up if you fill the boat with fisherman and gear or hunters and decoys and dogs. That's when the extra power (and torque) of the larger engine will be more satisfying...even if yuu're not a speed freak looking for max top end.

My dad and my uncle have very similar Tracker 17 deep V rigs. Dad has a 90 on his and uncle has a 50 (the std Tracker issue motor for that boat) on his. With just a fisherman or two on board the 50 is plenty to plane the boat quickly and race down the lake at about 35 mph (guessing since I don't recall exact speeds).

Where the 90 starts to shine is if 3 or 4 people crowd in the boat bringing with them all the support gear they need for a day on the lake. The 50 will eventually get the boat up on plane and will cruise acceptably, but always needs to be fully wrung out with a full load on board. The 90 on the other hand will pop that sucker out of the lake and can even cut back to 3/4 throttle (perhaps less) and still outpace the 50 equipped boat. Empty, that 90 will push the boat at close to 50 mph which is way too fast for me..

Granted, there is a big difference in HP between the two boats, but the larger engine seems to handle the load soooooo much more easily and at less throttle that it makes the 50 HP equipped boat seem underpowered in comparision. Really, I think the ideal HP for either of them would indeed be a 75.

Your situation is a little different, of course, but keep in mind that at 60 HP you're already 30 HP below the boat's max and it seems most guys prefer to equip their boats with 80%-100% of the full rated capacity. With the bigger engine you don't have to use the throttle like an on/off switch...you can plane out and then cut way back on motor speed just to keep the boat out of the water easily.

Fuel economy will suffer with the 75 versus the 60, but you will be able to throttle back more easily. I know dad's boat really sucks the gas at full tilt but actually is decently economic at 3/4 throttle or less. Last year on one of our annual crappie outings where both boats were present my dad and uncle actually had to refill their gas tanks and nearly the same time (although the 50 did use a little less even though it had to run wide open most of the time but the difference was paltry).

Weight wise, I don't think you're going to experience much loss in performance due to the extra heft of the 75 since the extra 15 HP are more than enough to compensate. On the trailer and down the highway that extra 150 pounds should equate to well less than 0.5 mpg since a huge bulk of the fuel econmony loss when pulling a boat is a function of wind resistance. Probably will make NO measureable difference on the road.

So, if I were in your situation I would want to opt for the larger motor if I could swing the payments easily. $1400 is a LOT of money to most of us so I can fully see going with a little fewer HP to make things easier to swallow. Probably would make later resale a little easier too should you decide to trade/upgrade.

I downsized boats a few years ago to a small Lund and a 25 HP. I went too low on the HP end and am now in the process up upgrading to a larger motor. Financially this was a big mistake since the cost to upgrade is way higher now than it would have been to the original package (depreciationof my motor coupled with the big sticker of the new ones).

Hopefully this is helpful. Sorry I couldn't speak directly to your situation but I hope the info above is at least somewhat useful. Really, the 60 is probably adequate given your description, but I think in the long run the 75 (or a 90 even which might be the same weight as the 75) will be more satisfying...especially if you plan to haul a wife and kids around!

Best wishes,
Steve

hatch

Recruit

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Sort of leaning towards the 60. I do quite a bit of duck hunting usually myself and another along with a couple of dogs and decoys. I really don't think there would be much benefit to go with the 75 with the added weight for 15 hp and I don't like the huge envelope of the 75 efi for ducking.

Good luck on your upgrade,

Dan

ut84088

Cadet

I'm no expert but I have a 1675 Explorer SC and have been quite happy with a 75hp ficht. (I know the Ficht engines had a lot of problems, but it is my understanding the 75's were very good.) I think your Alaskan and my Explorer are close in size. I am able to cruise around 35 with 4 or 5 people inside and I can easily tow a tube.

If it were me, I would try and work a deal for the 75.